Step tabs/stationary tabs

NHGuy

Captain
I was hanging aroung Wolfeboro, NH today and while excercising the dog I took a walk to the Back Bay docks. In there you'll see smaller boats that can sneak in under a low bridge.
I spied 1 lonesome boat in there on the public dock, tied off right and looking shiny especially considering she appeared to be from somewhere in the 60's or 70's. It was a powder gray Sea Ray, around 19 or 18 foot. Very Donziesque topsides, yet Sea Ray hull style. Had a closed bow and full width hard engine cover with louvers on the sides of the top. It also had a very cool 60's inspired 3 or 4" stripe from bow to stern that was offset to one side. I wish I had a camera, what a good looking ride. She had a tonneau cover like a british car, all it covered was the seats. The cover was effectively flat with one chopped off little semi circle for the steering wheel.
Boat had an early Mercruiser stern drive with an eye on the top. It also had an old school ski pylon with the looped top. The pylon was cool too, all black.
But here is my question, on the stern there were 2 cast looking tabs that were stationary, they looked to be aluminum because of their silver color. Cast into them were the words Step Tab or Tab Step I believe. And also I think it said D C on the tops. I don't know why they weren't all corroded but the top pebble grain was visible and they looked clean, maybe the boat has a lift where it lives or someone might have bead blasted them or something. Have any of you old salts heard of such a thing, cause my boat would probably benefit from such a device. I should go to the boat salvage up here & see if he has any. I just feel too cheap to pony up the money for trim tabs, and I don't like the idea of the smart tabs. I raise my boat's nose at higher speeds and I don't like the concept of the smart tabs for that sort of use.
Have any of you seen stationary tabs? Any concerns?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Step tabs/stationary tabs

I had a friend with a jet that had them, and I think you are right about Step Tab. They are basically a fixed trim tab. Quite a bit smaller than typical, but can correct a small porpoise issue.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah I've seen them. I really don't think you want them.

Why are you against smart tabs? Once your moving they don't push the bow down if you set them right.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Tempo made them back in the 1980's. I believe Attwood did as well, but theirs were short lived on the market.

The Tempo prduct was an excellent cost effect tool. They made them in 2 different sizes.