Help - Used Boat 1995 Larson or 1989 Baja Islander - what should I buy?

andyroos

Recruit
Looks like I could get either of these for about 4k - they are both in very good condition and include trailer.

1995 larson 214 sei - 350 Mer Cruiser Motor
1989 BAJA ISLANDER 190 4.3 OMC - Cobra outdrive??

WHat would you do???

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Help - Used Boat 1995 Larson or 1989 Baja Islander - what should I buy?

I love my Baja but I want you to get that Larson! 6 years newer, mucho more torque, more seating. Maybe the Islander looks sporty but the Mercruiser drive will not cost as much if repairs happen.

In Deep

Seaman

Hands down get the Larson !!

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

Love baja's but I'm for the Larson

Newer, bigger, bigger motor and mercruiser :)

Older baja's are really heavy and I'll bet with that v6 she may be a turd

It really will come down to the shape each of them are in. At that age the sicker on the side means nothing

JoLin

Vice Admiral

No contest- buy the Larson. The 'OMC' label's enough to drive me away from the Baja, along with the other comments here.

Good luck!

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Larson but check stringers for rot. I have one that appears to have not been glasses over properly and rotted stringers out near stern.

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Larson but check stringers for rot. I have one that appears to have not been glasses over properly and rotted stringers out near stern.

I have a 1995 214 and had the same problem. It appears Larson did not believe in capping the stringers that year. I did a complete deck/stringer rebuild with composites.

I will say that I have yet to find a boat that size with the same interior space that the Larson 214 has (especially if it has the U-sport interior). I believe its rated to carry 13 people - which is more than I've seen in similar boats.

Ben

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the condition is the same, then the Larson, hands down. As everyone has already pointed out, V6 OMC is not only underpowered but also not made anymore, so parts are gonna be hard to find. Not the engine itself, but the accessories and outdrive components. Larson is much larger and its powerplant is still being produced today and a lot more were made, so parts are more abundant. Not that the Cobra is terrible, just hard to get parts for it when it breaks, and being over 20 years old, you can count on that happening.