Need Help - Changing impeller on 1986 Merc 25hp, 2stroke, 2 cylinder

Renstrom

Recruit
Motor stopped peeing altogether. I tried dropping the lower unit but that is where I got stuck. I removed the 4 bolts and the lower unit came down about 1 inch, enough to see the water pump housing, the drive shaft and then towards the front, a wire (about the size of a coat hanger, I'm assuming that is what changes the gears from forward to reverse). This wire is what I could not figure out how to remove or disengage. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know. Also, where is the best place to get a new impeller as well as new water intake screens (the plastic things that are on the outside of the motor where the water goes in)? Lastly, when I put the new impeller on, do I need to to make sure it turns clockwise or counter clockwise? Thanks for any insight / suggestions you might have. Any pictures or diagrams would be helpful as well.

jims plan b

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need Help - Changing impeller on 1986 Merc 25hp, 2stroke, 2 cylinder

use wood wedges nice and easy to help drop the lower

Renstrom

Recruit

So there is nothing I have to disconnect? Just sort of pry it down very easy? Thanks much for your quick reply.

Renstrom

Recruit

THanks so much for the info. Your explanation and the diagram helps so much.

Renstrom

Recruit

Well I changed the impellor and it really wasn't too difficult but couldn't have done it without the diagram. The old impellor only had one spline left on it and the other splines were in chunks in the water pump housing. Thanks again for all the info. I removed the starter (only two bolts) to gain better access to the top of the shift linkage. If you do it, make sure you disconnect the battery terminals.

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad everything worked out with the repair.You saved some money,learned a few things,and helped someone else who reads this thread with the extra pointers you supplied!:D

2dbit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you do it, make sure you disconnect the battery terminals.
This to me, sounds like a lesson learned the hard way? Do some of your tools now boast some weld marks?

Renstrom

Recruit

A long time ago I had some tools with some weld marks and now know that you should remove the battery terminals...so yes, I learned the lesson the hard way.