1997 mercruiser 7.4 water pump

TJAXFF

Cadet
Hello all, new meat here with a problem. I need a new water pump on my 1997 Sea Ray w/mercruiser 7.4. Totally locked up.
Problem is the cost $$$.
However, there is one for sale on craigslist, brand new for $260, compared to $579 to $750, and the part # is 46-807151A8, same as mine. But the ad says it goes with a serpentine belt. And I do not have a serpentine belt on my 7.4.
My question is, would that pump still go on my engine and line up with the individual belts I'm running with now?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated! TJ

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1997 mercruiser 7.4 water pump

Probably not the same pump. Your pump had a mechanical fuel pump mounting area on it, the ones with serpentine belts do not.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hello all, new meat here with a problem. I need a new water pump on my 1997 Sea Ray w/mercruiser 7.4. Totally locked up.
Problem is the cost $$$.
However, there is one for sale on craigslist, brand new for $260, compared to $579 to $750, and the part # is 46-807151A8, same as mine. But the ad says it goes with a serpentine belt. And I do not have a serpentine belt on my 7.4.
My question is, would that pump still go on my engine and line up with the individual belts I'm running with now?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated! TJ

Howdy,

Welcome Aboard!

You most likely have the same pump that I have on mine.

If you allow the pump to either lose oil through a leak or allow the fuel pump to leak internally (and dilute the oil with gasoline) It will eventually destroy the bearings and self destruct( seize etc).

I actually was able to replace my fuel pump prior to this happening (replace the oil [Mercruiser gear lubricant]) and save the bearings.

You didn't indicate whether you have a carbureted or MPI engine, but if you DON'T have a mechanical fuel pump on the raw water pump drive, you may be able use the cheaper pump....BUT the pulley may not line up after you remove the serp pulley and press the v-belt pulley on (even if you can)

Examples are at the link below.
http://www.sterndrives.com/precisionparts/328.html

An example of how to rebuild one is below:
http://www.sterndrives.com/rebuild_bravo_raw_waterpump.html

If you have a mechanical fuel pump on your sea water pump, you will have to either rebuild your current pump drive, (and replace the fuel pump) or go to a (USCG compliant) electric fuel pump.

If you want to rebuild your pump support/drive, it will entail pressing the pulley and bearings off the shaft and getting new ones etc.

I don't know if the bearings and/or drive shaft are even available though.

I believe Mercury has electric fuel pump conversion "kits" etc.....

Either way it's not going to be cheap!

Sorry about that!

Rick

TJAXFF

Cadet

Thanks to both oracle and Vice Admiral. But, I'm still confused, as oracle states that a serpentine belted pump will not have the fuel pump mount. And yet the ad for the pump states it does have a fuel pump mount. And the number is the same part number as mine. Here is the ad as posted:

Mercruiser sea water pump - $225 (Clearwater)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2
Reply to: sale-ryapv
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

46-807151A8 mercruiser water pump sea water (new) pump with fuel pump attachment serpentine belt
$260

I did eliminate the ad # and phone #, and I hope I'm allowed to copy & Paste that ad on here.

Another question is whether the 46-807151A8 part number is only for a 1997 model? As all later models have a different number from what I can see advertised. Thanks again for any more info. TJ

TJAXFF

Cadet

So Vice Admiral, according to that link you posted, it appears that part number is compatible to all those models?

And it does have the fuel pump seat mounting. But, will it work without a serpentine belt setup? Feel like I'm still in Limbo, until I can reach the seller and ask for a picture.

TJAXFF

Cadet

Also, as a follow up, I forgot to mention that I have a carburated 7.4 with a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the water pump.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I have the same engine. It appears to me that it would work but I also think you're going to have to ask them and/or ensure that you can return it if it doesn't fit.

Mercruiser uses serial numbers instead of year model since there's can be considerable (or no) overlap from year to year..

Ensure that you tell them your engine serial number. That link I provided shows serial number ranges indicted.

Regards,

Rick

TJAXFF

Cadet

Just want to say thanks to all who advised me on here. I received a picture of the pump in the ad, and it's brand new, still in the box, and exactly as my old one. Got it for $225, quite a substantial savings, Eh?

Again, Thanks much, this is great, informative forum for all boat owners, will be visiting again. I'm sure. TJ

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Just want to say thanks to all who advised me on here. I received a picture of the pump in the ad, and it's brand new, still in the box, and exactly as my old one. Got it for $225, quite a substantial savings, Eh?

Again, Thanks much, this is great, informative forum for all boat owners, will be visiting again. I'm sure. TJ

Make sure you replace your fuel pump too unless you can absolutely ensure that it's ok.

Smell the oil in the old pump drive...... if it smells like gasoline, the pump is bad.

Your fuel pump is an AIRTEX 60932, available at Oreilly, Autozone and many others. Most of these auto parts stores have the actual AIRTEX catalog and can look up the MARINE pumps directly. Airtex is one of the OEM manufacturers for Mercruiser pumps.

You can verify by looking at the AIRTEX site. http://www.showmetheparts.com/airtex/#

Click "Other vehicles", select Marine, Mercruiser Marine, ALL models, 454 etc......

Oreilly has the pump for about $60 and Autozone will beat or match the price and might even give you a lifetime warranty etc....

Cheers,

Rick

TJAXFF

Cadet

Ironic that you mentioned that Admiral. I had just tuned it up 2 weeks ago, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor AND a new fuel pump & gasket. Took it out for a nice run and noticed what we thought was a belt squealing. Docked it, and tightened up the tensioner on the pump, then out again for about an hour when the water pump went. Froze up, locked tight. Had to call SeaTow to get back. So, after all that work. The pump went.
So, everything else is new, including the fuel pump. But will check it out for fuel inside, when we get the old one off.
Again, thanks for all the time and good advice. TJ

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ironic that you mentioned that Admiral. I had just tuned it up 2 weeks ago, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor AND a new fuel pump & gasket. Took it out for a nice run and noticed what we thought was a belt squealing. Docked it, and tightened up the tensioner on the pump, then out again for about an hour when the water pump went. Froze up, locked tight. Had to call SeaTow to get back. So, after all that work. The pump went.
So, everything else is new, including the fuel pump. But will check it out for fuel inside, when we get the old one off.
Again, thanks for all the time and good advice. TJ

Yeah. Your old pump probably had been leaking and just diluted the oil to the point where the 2 bearings in the raw water pump drive finally froze up from lack of lubrication (gasoline is a terrible lubricant!!)

Pretty common problem.

Mine did the same thing except the oil in the pump "drive" was still oily! (but did smell like gasoline) I was lucky to catch it.

I still think I could probably take it apart and replace the bearings.

I also think the best "fix" is to go to an electric pump and eliminate the raw-water-drive pump altogether........I may do that when (and if) I pull the engine for replacement.

When you do install the 'new" one ensure that you fill it with lubricant. (it's supposed to use drive oil..........I used Merc HP synthetic drive oil)

budly

Recruit
Re mercruiser 7.4 water pump

Re mercruiser 7.4 water pump

The sea water pump on my merc 7.4 has the fuel pump mounted on it. I had to dismantle the water pump to replace the bearings & seals My question is : is there supposed to be a bearing on the center of the shaft to drive the fuel pump

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re mercruiser 7.4 water pump

Re: Re mercruiser 7.4 water pump

Welcome aboard budly, might want to keep an eye on the dates of these threads. This one is from Sept 2011. I would bet by now he has it fixed. Plus he hasn't been back since sept 7th 2011.