Need help Force 50 hp 2 cyl

pontoon1991

Cadet
I have a Force 2 cyl 50 hp. Coming in toward dock and the engine decided to die. I don't personally know that much about boat motors. I figured I had fouled a plug driving so slow. In the process of pulling the plugs, I noticed the lower plug had a couple of water droplets on it, and it was very clean, like it had been steam cleaned, so I figured head gasket.

I ordered a head gasket and cleaned the gasket surface meticulously, cleaned screw threads, dipped them in oil before installing. So, what I am saying is I feel I did a very good job on the head gasket. I tried to start the engine and the same thing - couldn't get it to idle. I checked the plug and saw droplets of water on the tip. My question is, is my thinking right, I either have a very bad head surface or a crack in the cylinder. Is there any way other than that for water to get in the cylinder?

When I disassemble it this time, what should I look for besides surface of the head or a crack in the cylinder, and where should I look to inspect this. I went and got the old gasket and inspected it for water erosion but was not able to find any. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. It seems like I am having a very bad time right now money-wise.

Thanks for any advice. :confused:

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help Force 50 hp 2 cyl

Well if you have not overheated the motor to much at all then prob. Not a cracked head. Have you checked and or changed the exhaust plate gasket and also make sure all bolts are still in place. If you do take it off be very careful when removing the bolts because they tend to get corroded and can break real easy. Pb blaster works well here. Do a compression leak down test and that will help you to know if you have a crack head or any other issues.

pontoon1991

Cadet

I know a lot about car engines, but I am new to boat motors. So, that means that a leaking exhaust plate gasket can cause this problem too? I hope that is what it is, it would be a lot less expensive to fix. Thanks a lot! :)

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Very good chance that it is the exhaust plate gasket. Remember to remove those bolts very carefully. Use pb blaster and let sit for awhile if you can. If you feel any resistance while removing then spray and let sit. Try a little tapping and turning if you need to. Light tapping cause the motor block is aluminum.