Cool hubs lubricant change

ccm14

Cadet
Hi,
I have a 2006 Ranger Trail trailer that has cool hubs for lubrication. I have been neglegent and have never replaced the oil in the hubs. The trailer has had very little use and that was my justification for the neglegence. Also the trailer sits unmoved for about 4 months of the year. I have been researching the cool hubs issue and it seems that some people tend to have leakage problems with them. I never have had that problem. My question....would I be better off not fooling with changing the lubricant in the hubs, since I have had no leaks or go ahead and change the lube and hope that I don't develope a leak in the seals?

Thanks for the advice.

Charlie

waiddog

Cadet
Re: Cool hubs lubricant change

Good question. I feel that if you check it periodically after towing (feel the hub with your hand) and it is not hot then your good. But then again better safe then sorry too.

MackTX

Recruit
Re: Cool hubs lubricant change

First you must remove the wheel from the hub and this will expose a small set screw that takes an Allen wrench to remove, after removing the set screw rotate the hub with the hole oriented downward so the fluid will drain out. After completely draining the hub refill the hub about 3/4 full looking at the clear plastic window with 50W (50 weight) non synthetic motor oil. Re-install the set screw and thats it. You can find a video on Youtube showing all the steps.

Hi,
I have a 2006 Ranger Trail trailer that has cool hubs for lubrication. I have been neglegent and have never replaced the oil in the hubs. The trailer has had very little use and that was my justification for the neglegence. Also the trailer sits unmoved for about 4 months of the year. I have been researching the cool hubs issue and it seems that some people tend to have leakage problems with them. I never have had that problem. My question....would I be better off not fooling with changing the lubricant in the hubs, since I have had no leaks or go ahead and change the lube and hope that I don't develope a leak in the seals?

Thanks for the advice.

Charlie