Will this gasket eventually seat?

jgresham75

Seaman
1999 5.0GL (replaced w/5.7 block). I will try to be brief but the question is, will the head gasket eventually seal based on the following:

Had the head rebuilt and planned. Assembled with NEW head gasket with NEW bolts. Did not tighten correctly and had major leak. Bought Another NEW gasket and NEW bolt set again and tighten head according to VP service manual (torque/angle). (It is possible that my block is not flat). HOWEVER, I DID NOT clean the bolts holes between the two NEW gasket replacements (Please don't beat up on me about being careless. I am fully aware of my mistakes and my wallet is paying for them). I then started the engine and it went ok but started to see a little water drip on the outside around where the bolts are. I put the boat in water and got it up to operating temp for about 15 minutes. Most of the water stopped except for one small drip.

IF the water is dripping from the bolts holes, is it possible they may eventually seal with more time?

(please note, it is entirely possible that my block deck is not flat, thus the gaskets leaked once the heads were planned. Therefore, my concern is that I need some major overhaul and will probably replace the block anyway- BUT would like to get some use out of the block before replacement. Therefore, I am asking this question.) Thanks in advance.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Will this gasket eventually seat?

It's possible it will stop.
Any water in the cylinders?Plugs burning ok?
Get a staright edge and remove the head(again) and test for flat.
I'm guessing it's sea water cooled?You might pick up sum mud and it might seal it.J

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You DO NOT need to replace the head bolts each time they are removed. They use an angle torque method, but are NOT torque to yeild bolts and do not get stretched when tightened.
Did you put sealer on the head bolts as stated in the service manual?

No, they will not seal by themselves, and even if they did, it would be temporary at best. Mechanical things don't heal.

jgresham75

Seaman

To answer Don S., the new bolts came with sealant on them. Therefore I did not add any.

Do you think I could remove one at a time and put additional sealant on it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I doubt if re-sealing will help. The fact that you didn't clean the threads in the block may have affected the torque, along with the ability to seal properly. Pull the heads, clean the threads, new gaskets and do the job right.