1980 Marquis Caribbean with cracked stringer, what do?

seanzy13

Recruit
To make a long story short I have no background on this boat other then it was abandoned at a storage unit and unclaimed, now it is mine. From the looks on the condition, the last owner was starting to prepare the engine for removal to repair a broken stringer (The wood wrapped in glass that the engine is sitting on, I believe this is called the stringer) One stringer looks and sounds to be in good condition, it sounds solid and looks perfectly square. The other side however sounds to have some rot in it, the side looks like its collapsing under the engine weight, and the rear engine/outdrive mount has broken thru the fibreglass and the engine is sitting about 1/2" low on one side. This is a fiberglass hull boat btw.

Now the questions I have:
1) Do I ABSOLUTELY have to fix this? I'm not looking for a perfect boat, or one thats going to last me a life time. This is a cheap do it yourself project that I expect to hopefully get one full season of boating out of and I will be happy.

2) Is there a "red neck" way of fixing this without completely gutting the boat and laying new stringers. It looks like an awful amount of work, and this boat is likely not at all worth it. To me it looks like it cracked because too much engine weight is sitting in a small area. I was thinking perhaps a metal plate under both the front and rear engine mounts on that side would support the engine weight better on the weak stringer, and perhaps get me a season of use or more out of the boat without a full repair.

3) If questions 1 and 2 don't provide me any alternatives, and say perhaps I wanted to replace the stringer, how much work am I looking at? The physical work of gutting the boat and removing the stringers is acceptable, but I question my ability to put in new stringers successfully. It looks to me like lots of specialized cutting is needed that I am not prepared for. I have background with fibreglass work that doesn't worry me, but woodworking is not my strong suit. Is there a simple solution to this? (precut wood, replacement for the wood altogether?)

4) In your opinion, is an otherwise descent 1980s cabin cruiser at all worth this much work, or should I be looking for a hull in better condition to fix up and make a winter project?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Marquis Caribbean with cracked stringer, what do?

What Motor does it Have??

seanzy13

Recruit

5.0L 305 GM, OMC w/800 outdrive

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I was afraid of that. OMC went out of business in 2002 and parts are not the easiest thing to come by. They can be found but not the easiest. Lot's of guys on here do not like restoring boats with that power plant. The failed Stinger will have to be replaced and if it has deteriorated to that extent, it is a good bet that you will find other problems as well. You have seen the extent that some have gone to, to restore their boats, and I am fairly certain, yours won't be any different. Lots of work, dollars and time. Can you do it, SURE, with the help you will get here on the Forum you can just about do anything. Is it worth it???? Only you can make that decision. Will you get your investment back??? Doubtful!! If you really like the looks of the boat and it meets all of your needs then spending the time and money might be worthwhile, but.... there's still the motor issue. Lot's to think about.

seanzy13

Recruit

Yes the OMC was a small concern of mine, but from what I can tell so far, the engine and outdrive are in good condition. The major issue that put the boat in the garage was the broken stringer. From what I read and see online, stringer replacement doesn't look like something for me on a boat this old. Its just not worth it. Luckily the boat has a nice 20' roller trailer under it, and if OMC parts are hard to come by a complete working unit should fetch a few more dollars, so I doubt I'll have lost anything on this buy.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think parting it out is the wisest option on an OMC Stringer powered boat with hull damage.