OMC 140 hp options

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1979 MFG Caprice with a 140 hp I/O. GM engine. I would like to know if there are any "bolt on" power up grades for this engine. I am new to you boating world, and all that I know about right now is the different props used to get better acceleration or top speed. I am not sure what style/size prop is on there now. I do know that at WTO i got to about 43 MPH at 4200 rpm. Some people have said that was great for that boat, so Im not complaining. Since I am a new (old) boat owner, I know that in spring time I want to do the "normal" plugs and wires, but wondering what other type of maintenance should be included? When it comes time to winterize, I will have the shop do the oil changes, and give it a good once over and see what they can see.

So, the 2 questions that I have......

1 - Is there some type of bolt-on performance parts for I/O's? (or any boats really)

2 - What would be the best type of plugs and wires for boats? ie, MSD, Accel, etc.....

Sounds like rookie questions to me, but I had to ask. Thanks guys!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC 140 hp options

So, the 2 questions that I have......

1 - Is there some type of bolt-on performance parts for I/O's? (or any boats really)

2 - What would be the best type of plugs and wires for boats? ie, MSD, Accel, etc.....

Ayuh,.... #1, for the 3.0l,..?? Nope...It is what ya got...

#2, AC Delco MR43T plugs, 'n Seirra sells a decent plug wire set...

Don't waste yer money on somethin' Fancy,...
You'll be buyin' Hype, not Hi-performance...

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: OMC 140 hp options

Thanks Bond-o.
I always knew that bolt-on performance for smaller car engines are few and far between, and expensive of just a few HP. I didnt know if that was the same for boats, but I see that it is. I know that those sweet jet boats with the large, blown V-8`s can bolt on whatever they want, so I figured that I would throw it out there. As for the plugs and wires, thanks for the information. Like I said, come next year, I will be changing the plugs and wires, and hopefully have this boat up to tip-top shape..