power steering question

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class
Engine is 1993 4.3 mercruiser alpha 1 outdrive with power steering. Steering to starboard and back to neutral position the steering is fine...going to port and coming back to a neutral position the steering is very stiff. I have read about the problems with a corroded steering tube and am wondering if that can cause a problem with stiff turning one way only, or am I looking at something else being the culprit.
Thanx!....Dan

larson174

Recruit
Re: power steering question

I was having the same problem, except I could steer Port and back to center but very stiff steering into and out of starboard. I disconnected the cable at the engine and the steering was still stiff. Last weekend the steering wheel had enough and the coupling inside the tilt column shattered. Now I need to replace the cable and tilt mechanism. Once I had the cable off the boat I still could not move it. Hoping the cable was the problem, let you know after I replace it - and the steering column :(

wyoboat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: power steering question

I had this problem on my larson lazer and i put a little grease on the steering tube problem solved fixed in one full rotation of the steering wheel, not sure if this was the proper fix by the iboat pro's but is worked for me, I assume you greased the out drive?