96 evinrude vindicator all four lights alarm

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a 96 Hydra-Sport 205 FS with a 200hp Evinrude Vindicator. I just bought the boat before the weekend.

Now that we have it on the water after driving on plane for almost a minute the alarm beeps and the four warning lights on the tach come on (check engine, oil, engine temp, ... sorry can't remember them all, more to follow.) and one by one they go out. This might not be specific to the engine. I'm wondering what it means when all the lights come on and then go out.

I check the connections for the tach, they are all tight. Checked for any loose connections on the engine.

Any other ideas??

Thanks guys.

daselbee

Commander
Re: 96 evinrude vindicator all four lights alarm

Sounds like the tach is losing power intermittently. Does the needle drop down momentarily too? Tach gets it's power from the purple wire in the 8 pin plug, and it's ground from the black wire.

Put key on, tach should go thru the beep, and 4 light cycle, then start wiggling wires to see if you can locate the intermittent open.

Under the electrical panel on port side rear of engine, the other end of that purple wire exists. You can try wiggling there too.

Could be bad at key switch too. Vibrate the remote control hard with your fist to try to make it go intermittent.