Philips head bolt next to drain plug

Thadius

Cadet
Gents/Ladies, I just bought a boat, the guy had been using regularly and I think before selling, he "checked" and maye even filled the gear oil.. since every shift lever position gives me reverse, I am guesssing he did the wrong screw thing... it is a '59 (beautiful motor) Evinrude "Big Twin" 35 HP... how do I now get that screw (ID it first) then take it out and get it in right? Can this be done with boat in the water (private lake and geting to use the ONE boat launch to remove a boat after you put it in is a major and expensive hasle - basicaly, two free pulls a year, in and out!) ...I suppose I could take motor off boat at shore and work on it, but I want to be fairly certain I am doing right thing... I have a link to a complete page by page exploded parts diagram and parts list.. please, if you understand this issue, and can help point me to the correct screw, look at this wonderful parts exploded diagram/Bill of materials and point out page & call out # for correct bolt/screw.. I can tear a Harley or two stroke MX bike to the the cases, split and blueprint them, but boats are a new thing to me....Thank you for any help at all ... this link may help others with issues as well .. just copy paste into browser and I will pick up your dry cleaning for an answer! LOL! it is http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2977/ITEM_297700001.htm

Edit: removed email address

THANK YOU ALL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Philips head bolt next to drain plug

Have the engine off of the boat and turn it upside down (after draining the lube), or remove the lower unit, then drain the gear lube. Remove the propeller. At any rate, have the lower unit upside down and remove the skeg.

Align the internal shift lever, the cradle, and the shifter dog as needed to be in a neutral position. Apply some "Sealer 1000" (available at most auto parts stores) to the spagetti seal on the skeg and set it over the gears etc. Insert a couple screws but do not tighten fully yet. Look into the hole and by gently moving the shift rod or lever, align the internal shift lever hole with the screw hole in the skeg.

With it aligned, insert the philips screw but do not tighten fully. Insert the other skeg retaining screws and tighten all of them completely. Have a few threads of the philips screw showing, and apply a little Sealer 1000 to the threads, then tighten that philips screw completely. Upright the lower unit, fill it with lube, then install it to the engine.

Thadius

Cadet
Re: Philips head bolt next to drain plug

Yeah - motor is going to shop to get that donE... i will find an O/B repair guy who works from his garageon sie to make a few bucks, I cant take the time to do this on my own and simply have never torn down an O/B LowEr unit before.. thoUgh it would make a nicewinterprokject... learn a BIT as go aloong, buy a repair manual..

thank you sir