1983 80hp mercury idle speed and idle problems

jonrow

Recruit
Ok first off i didn't take the time to read through all the threads so this may have been explained. I have an 80 hp motor it is an 83 model, prop i have had it fir 3 years prior to buying i was told it had a new stator. My problem is this thing won't idle at all none have to fast idle to start and rev up and drop in gear, I know hard on lower unit but, this thing runs smoother than silk on top end no sputter miss no hesitation in throttle response pulls hard it will run at or just above idle speed but its rough. I was told it might be my coils this is a 140 repair if i do it myself so maybe someone can conform this or disprove it. Also i know i should have but i haven't ever changed the spark plugs and wires they are at least 5 years old. Next question could this be a fuel problem? When i run the boat and shut it off to fish and after some time of setting i have to reprime the bulb and if it is quite enough you can hear this air/bubble sound like it is pulling air through fuel/liquid. Thank you for the info and the help jon