Nautolex vinyl flooring and DAP contact cement??

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
I am ready to lay the Nautolex marine vinyl flooring in my boat.

I have the blue pictured here.

5651500S.jpg

I searched the forum but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Will laying this down with DAP? Weldwood? Original Contact Cement work the best??? Pictured and linked to here.

002739.jpg
http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=35

I ask because none of the outdoor carpet adhesives at Menards indicate they stick to fiberglassed floors. The DAP does.

I'm ready to jump on this over the weekend.

Any help is GREAT appreciated!! :D:D:D

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Nautolex vinyl flooring and DAP contact cement??

That's exactly what I used to glue Nautolex to epoxied plywood. I can't necessarily speak for fiberglass, but so far, after almost two seasons, it seems to be working fine for me.

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Fwiw I hear the 3m 88 (or 99?) Works well for this, check ezmobee's thread, I know he put nautolex down in his rig and hes super impressed with it.... Looks like good stuff, im looking at putting it on my old gt 150....

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Fwiw I hear the 3m 88 (or 99?) Works well for this, check ezmobee's thread, I know he put nautolex down in his rig and hes super impressed with it.... Looks like good stuff, im looking at putting it on my old gt 150....
That would be the Nautolex 88 adhesive.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|311409|311410&id=23788

I fixin' to use the same stuff here in a couple of days.

I think the 88 will be more forgiving and easier to work with than the contact cement, but the contact cement should work well. I've seen other people use it.

fourbox43

Cadet

with contact cements you have to glue both piece material and surface in your case only glue the surface but you have to be fast you want the glue to be a little wet still when you lay the carpet good luck and have fun

Ps Have someone to help if you can

bananaboater

Ensign

I used Nautolex glue (water based), thinned to honey consistency. I would worry about air bubbles using the contact cement. A roller from the flooring section of a big box store is a necessity. Good luck.

JSmitty

Seaman Apprentice

Contact cement didn't work for me on vertical surfaces. Neither did 3M 80 or 77. I finally wound up using 3M Super Trim Adhesive. If I had to do it again I'd just use Nautolex's glue.