Steering wheel adj.

I just bought a used 2004 18' Crest Explorer w/Johnson 50hp 4 stroke. I runs great except that the steering wheel is 1/2 off center, no freeplay and it is not tight moving either direction. I just looks nasty :mad: when going straight down the lake. Is there any adjustment for this problem? I looked at the motor an cannot see any place that looks like there is a threaded shaft to adjust or any thing else.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Steering wheel adj.

pull the wheel and center it.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think what Scott's trying to say is there should be 6 bolts or so that hold the steering wheel on, pretty simple, screw them off and center it where you want.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am almost certain that your wheel is keyed, so you can't just pull it off and turn it. What Cubby suggests will work, but sometimes you can't turn the helm in the console because of clearance or alignment issues. I think the easiest way to fix your problem is just to pull the cable out of the helm, turn the wheel to center it and put the cable back in the helm.

If you have a teleflex cable helm (most popular brand and type) you take the pin out and use it to push in the little hole right there and release the cable. You then turn the wheel which will push the cable out of the helm. Turn the wheel as much as you think you need and put the cable back in. Turn the wheel to "reel" the cable back into the helm and see where it lines up. The cable will snap back into the helm and then you put the locking pin back in. Make sure the cable is firmly back in the helm and locked in place before you take the boat out. If the cable falls out while you are underway you have no steering.

Rack and pinion steering you pull the 4 bolts out and drop the cable off the helm, turn the wheel to straighten it out and put the cable back on.

You could also get the destroyer type stainless wheel like I have and then it is always right :). That's also how I know the helm and wheel are keyed, from changing my wheel.

Destroyer wheel and happy helmsman.
boatkids0607020.jpg

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+1 for Imuss. There is only one bolt on the wheel and it is keyed.

Thanks for the prompt replys, now to see if there is a way for a not so young man to get into a position to do the operation, maybe it will be better to wait till I take it out for the season to try this job.
Again thanks, now I see why all my friends told me to got here for info.