1946 Evenrude Sportsman 2-horse

mmabbott

Cadet

Are there carb gaskets/kits for 1946 Evenrude Sportsman air-cooled 2-horse, or do I have to cut my own gaskets?
For the water-cooled shaft would the impeller be rubber or steel, and if it's rubber, would I need to replace it and how?
Michael

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1946 Evenrude Sportsman 2-horse

You can try Sea-Way Marine, or Engine Blade and Prop. Those are a metal impeller in those motors.

freddyray21

Commander

that is not air cooled. It does has as mentioned a metal impeller and it should be pumping water.

mmabbott

Cadet

Are there carb gaskets/kits for 1946 Evenrude Sportsman air-cooled 2-horse, or do I have to cut my own gaskets?
For the water-cooled shaft would the impeller be rubber or steel, and if it's rubber, would I need to replace it and how?
Michael

Thanks for the info, bros.

mmabbott

Cadet

1946 Evenrude 2-horse Sportsman: What's it worth?

Michael

hilaryjohn

Recruit

Hey, I just picked up a pretty nice one for $20 at a neighborhood garage sale, most decals except one complete though a little faded. Didja find a source for an impeller yet?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

What's it worth?? to the average fisherman.....NOTHING but to a person who collects antiques and wants one...maybe $100 or more depending on the condition. One thing I have learned over the years is, you won't sell anything to the average fisherman, unless it's new, ready to be used, abused and neglected and he can buy it from you for $50 and don't worry, he'll make sure there is beer in that cooler, before he makes sure the oil in the lower unit is up to parr. No fisherman alive will buy an antique project motor. Fortunately, there are a few of us still around who has interest in those oldies. :D

hilaryjohn

Recruit

Hey, I just picked up a pretty nice one for $20 at a neighborhood garage sale, most decals except one complete though a little faded. Didja find a source for an impeller yet?

Actualy I did a partial teardown of the lower unit to regrease, so forth. In the 1946 4412 2HP, the impeller is
steel(!) and in my case, in perfect condition. There are some oddities however. The "seal" on the output for the
propeller is of babbit or lead?? Very odd. A company called McMaster-Carr sells all sorts of seals one could try, however I am going to keep it (it is in pretty good condition) and use marine grease in the gear case. Heavily
packed, frequently changed as in once every ten outings or so. As for seals around the impeller, I am awaiting
the original (but 1948, not 1946) repair manual/parts list for it; the lower half is different but I doubt things
changed around the impeller much in terms of design. My motor had NO seals around the impeller, and it MIGHT have a spot for one (again, I propably will have to jimmy up some kind of seal from McMaster-Carr online I think, is the only possibility for a seal). Also again, the manual for the '48 motor might provide insight as to the shape of any seal around the impeller area. As of lower case gaskets, it would seem one can make these using standard old thin gasket material from say, NAPA. Hey, anyone have a lower unit for a '48 with the skeg intact? I might want to buy it, my skeg is half broken off. --Hilary Herman in the redwoods of coastal
northern Calif. PS THIS IS A FRESHWATER-ONLY MOTOR, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT SALT WATER!!!