New V8 Vortec, which oil for run in... I refuse to pay the money for the Volvo oil..

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class
The dealer oil is ?60 for 4 litres, I refuse to pay it! <can you blame me :)

Engine needs to be run in so I would appreciate recommendations on which oil to use.

I'm in the motor trade and get all my engine oil at any spec at terrific prices, would some Mobil 1 Motorsport Fully Syn 15w50 do the trick?

Best wishes,

Stan :)

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: New V8 Vortec, which oil for run in... I refuse to pay the money for the Volvo oi

Anything close to 25w/40 dino or synthetic. Marine sterndrives are a low heat application. Dino has worked fine for me for years. You can also go straight 30w.

V

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: New V8 Vortec, which oil for run in... I refuse to pay the money for the Volvo oi

you might void your warranty unless anything but volvo oil is run......check your detailes

Volphin

Lieutenant

you might void your warranty unless anything but volvo oil is run......check your detailes

That denial has never been legal. Use an oil that is within, or close to the mfg. specs. They all must meet national standards for use. The shop can't tell what oil you have and never will be able to. During a warranty claim, should one happen, they will confirm that it HAS oil, and at the proper level. They would need to send it to a lab for VIS ratings, and they would never bother. Moot point anyway as oil is oil. Heck, we were all using 30w until recently...

V

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Review the Moss- Magnuson warranty act for info on this.
One line of thought is that a person should use dino oil for break in as syn is SO slippery it does not allow the rings to break in properly with the cylinders. You can end up with an oil burner and possible loss of compression. Of course the other line of thought is that it doesn't matter as some vehicles come from the factory with synthetic from day one.. Any oil question has every variety of recommendations, experiences, etc. Just start reading 'em. You can find any answer you want....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Review the Moss- Magnuson warranty act

Um guys, his "dealer" is going to charge ?60 for 4 litres....... I don't think British companies have to comply with US LAW....:facepalm:

One line of thought is that a person should use dino oil for break in as syn is SO slippery it does not allow the rings to break in properly with the cylinders.
That may be one line of thought but it's I question it because nearly EVERY engine manufacturer uses synthetic oil as "factory fill" for many engines that come off their lines......

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Um guys, his "dealer" is going to charge ?60 for 4 litres....... I don't think British companies have to comply with US LAW....:facepalm:

That may be one line of thought but it's I question it because nearly EVERY engine manufacturer uses synthetic oil as "factory fill" for many engines that come off their lines......

Didnt catch the British thing Duh me...

If you read my entire post, I stated basically the same thing about manufactures using syn in new engines.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If you read my entire post, I stated basically the same thing about manufactures using syn in new engines.
Yeah....DUH me too!!

Bondo

Staff member

The dealer oil is ?60 for 4 litres, I refuse to pay it! <can you blame me :)

Engine needs to be run in so I would appreciate recommendations on which oil to use.

I'm in the motor trade and get all my engine oil at any spec at terrific prices, would some Mobil 1 Motorsport Fully Syn 15w50 do the trick?

Best wishes,

Stan :)

Ayuh,... That's what's in My boat motors.... ;)

The fleet I maintain is on Rotella T 15W-40...

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... That's what's in My boat motors.... ;)

The fleet I maintain is on Rotella T 15W-40...
Bondo U R bewildering me a little bit [easy to do tho] R U runnin' Mobil 1 15-50 or Rotella 15-40 ???

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the replys folks, I did think the Mobil 1 Motorsport would be more ideal for this application, even more reassuring to see that Bondo is running it. :)

I am however a little concerned about the run in process and of course would like the rings to seat beautifully... Please excuse my lack of knowledge here but can anyone advise what dyno oil is? Is this mineral oil??

If it's not going to be a major issue then I will run the Mobil and follow the run-in process by the book... of course unless anyone else has extensive experience in run-in process :)

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for all the replys folks, I did think the Mobil 1 Motorsport would be more ideal for this application, even more reassuring to see that Bondo is running it. :)

I am however a little concerned about the run in process and of course would like the rings to seat beautifully... Please excuse my lack of knowledge here but can anyone advise what dyno oil is? Is this mineral oil??

If it's not going to be a major issue then I will run the Mobil and follow the run-in process by the book... of course unless anyone else has extensive experience in run-in process :)

Dino oil is shop slang for mineral. Short for dinosaur LOL... Sense its made out of old dinosaurs etc....
Bondo mentions both Mobil 1 [syn] AND Rotalla [dino], I wasnt sure what he meant myself...

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo U R bewildering me a little bit [easy to do tho] R U runnin' Mobil 1 15-50 or Rotella 15-40 ???

Ayuh,... My personal barges get Mobil 1, 15W-50...

The fleet I maintain fer the Boss, is oiled with Rotella...

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... My personal barges get Mobil 1, 15W-50...

The fleet I maintain fer the Boss, is oiled with Rotella...

Ditto on the Mobil 1 15-50 with a WIX filter in da boat My tow rig enjoys Mobil 1 as well.

Volphin

Lieutenant

I'm sorry if I confused you stant1man... As the posters indicated, dino oil is slang for traditional, non-synthetic motor oil. I really should refrain from shop slang. ;) Old habits die hard.

V

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I recall reading somewhere, that Volvo ships new engines with a dino (conventional) oil for break in and then they recommend changing to their syn straight 30 after a certain # of hrs. I'd check the warrantee you have first. But I think you could use a HD straight weight like Chevron Delo 400, Shell Rotella, or Pennzoil Marine in a straight 30 weight and be just fine. I use Chevron Delo 400 straight 40 in my 23 year old OMC 4.3. It holds great oil pressure even at hot idle (20 psi) original engine not rebuilt....