Where to boat this weekend.......Wilmington, NC area

theteacher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We live 2 hours from Carolina State Park ( Wilmington , NC area ) and we were planning on spending this last 3 day weekend there, but with the recent hurricane, I need to find out how much debris is in the water and how nasty the water is....anyone from anywhere near that area that can give me some insight or know how to find out? I called the state park there, but the lady was less than helpfull.
Only had the boat about 6 weeks and really want to hit the water, but I know what a busy mess the lakes can be.

trode

Recruit
Re: Where to boat this weekend.......Wilmington, NC area

Where did you end up? I boat and live in Wilmington, was not out for a week after Irene, mostly occasional loose boards and reeds from marshes floating around. No big debris noted, as I have seen in past after big storms, i.e. boat parts, animal carcasses, etc... We boat all the time here, if you didn't make it, I assume you were referring to Carolina Beach State Park boat ramp. That is a good launching point to go to either Wrightsville Beach and Masonboro Island, or cruise up the river from there to down town Wilmington. Head south on the river and you can head to Southport, great overnight spot in that marina, or go over to Bald Head Island, private island but marina open to public. They charge fee but you get credit for that at the "Ebb and Flow" restaurant, pretty basic food but great atmosphere. Biking around BHI is best bet, or rent a golf cart. No cars allowed on island, except for service and construction. Southport is only a mile or two across river from there. Another great bike town. Further down is Holden Beach, Lockwood Folly, several restaurants and marinas along the route. Have charts or GPS to avoid wandering into Sunny Point Marine Ocean Terminal on the river, they do not take kindly to boats wandering in the restricted area, if you do you will be QUICKLY visited by a patrol boat, machine gun mounted and all! River can be a challenge on windy days, wind and tide can play havoc. Watch for large vessels coming in and out of port, give a wide berth, rules of tonnage and all! Have fun, or I hope you already did.