does the drive shaft just pull right out?

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Changed the impeller on my 74 9.9 johnson today noticed that water was entering into gearcase (before I changed impellor). I was wondering if the drive shaft just pulls out ? I wanted to replace the seals under the impellor but wasnt sure how to remove the driveshaft.When I was changing impellor the drive shaft did pull up but I didnt pull it out in fear I would mess something up. I also plan on replacing the seals and the o ring in the prop area since I see oil coming from the prop exhaust area.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: does the drive shaft just pull right out?

You'll need to remove the impeller housing. The drive pin for the impeller should keep the drive shaft from coming out.

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK that parts no big deal,did that allready changing impellor its as easy as everyone says.So after I remove the impellor and pin, the drive shaft just pulls out? Do I have to worry about breaking anything or keeping parts alligned ect?

raczekp1

Lieutenant

dont wory.
you can pul up drive shaft from gear case and place back but turn al litle forth and back to feet end of drive shaft(thera are splines) into proper place down in gear case

wmconway

Seaman

Yeah, those driveshafts will just come right out. I usually take out the upper fill screw to let the pressure out when putting the shaft back in.

kfa4303

Banned

This link may help. It's not the exact same model as yours, but the basics are the same. You should be able to get a Lower Unit Seal kit right here at iboats for about $15. It's a pretty easy job. You might need a seal puller from the auto parts store for about $10, but that's the only special tool you might need. Keep us posted. Good luck.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=277190&highlight=lower+unit+seal+kit+installation