My aching back and tail bone!

LX Kid

Ensign
Went out fishing today and there was a lot of chop that just killed my back and tail bone. Who knows about some pedistal inserts for my seats? Of course I don't want to get exspensive hydraulics that replace the pedistals. You can see the picture below how tall they are and are not removable. Anyone have any ideas? Oh and the Captain's chairs suck also! Thanks

S6001037-1.jpg

S6002283.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: My aching back and tail bone!

You already have two--your knees. Stand up to drive, rest your butt against the seat like a leaning post.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You already have two--your knees. Stand up to drive, rest your butt against the seat like a leaning post.

Yepper, big 10-4 on that. Also this site may carry them or they are available elsewhere, but I have seen seats with spring loaded bottoms in addition to foam that are primarily for bass boats where you essentially sit on the floor but now you have a spring loaded cusion....but your knees are a lot cheaper......these seats are in the $400 per range.

HTH,

Mark

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Yup!

A high density foam will cushion heavy seas more, but on smooth water it's too firm and it feels like you're sitting on a piece of styrofoam. Give ya numb butt ...

I run a small canvas & cushion shop & for planing power boats I always recommend at least 3" medium-firm for the bottoms and 2" medium for the backs.

Fwiw I've thought for years telescoping pedestal seats were an area that was ripe for somebody to invent some type of shock absorbing attachment or insert. Wonder how a hot dog shaped air bag would work?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

The cushy floor pads for standing on make it even nicer and easier on the knees :)

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Went out fishing today and there was a lot of chop that just killed my back and tail bone. Who knows about some pedistal inserts for my seats? Of course I don't want to get exspensive hydraulics that replace the pedistals. You can see the picture below how tall they are and are not removable. Anyone have any ideas? Oh and the Captain's chairs suck also! Thanks

S6001037-1.jpg

S6002283.jpg

Go to a local mattress shop and see if they will sell you there sample piece of memory foam. Super Comfyyyyy

V153

Lieutenant Commander

The cushy floor pads for standing on make it even nicer and easier on the knees :)
Almost forgot about those things. Yeah they're great. But purists turn up their noses & refer to them as "Hobarts".

Extra credit if you figure out what "Hobart" stands for ...

LX Kid

Ensign

Guess I could just go hydrofoil and be done with all that rough riding problems!

boat.jpg

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

LOL @ Sharp shooter (great photo).

I don't know what they are called, but for added comfort standing we have this rubber floor covering with holes in it for drainage on our shop floor. I couple of squares of those where you stand might help. For the seat, no good ideas here.