Newbie gas comparison

dburu2

Recruit
I did a quick search and didn,t find what I was looking for. Bought first boat 1989 Bayliner ciera sunbridge ( 2155 I believe) 305 motor, maiden voyage last tues. 5 hrs. on Niagra river. after buying fuel at marina I was wondering if theres any diff. between your local gas station gas and marina fuel other than price.Thanks in advance Don.:confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie gas comparison

Some marinas sell ethanol-free gas. Some don't.

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Check the internet. There are a couple websites dedicated to finding non ethanol fuel in your area. If you can run non ethanol you would be better off.

Here's one of them http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The other caveat is "fresh fuel" from clean tanks, and hopefully a final filter on the hose to eliminate contaminants and especially a water filter.

Once you understand the difference between "regular" and e10 ethanol, in terms of loss of BTU, hence performance (couple of mph loss at WOT), and find what you want, I would ensure that the filters are there and the marina is busy in that the fuel gets replaced frequently ensuring fresh fuel. Other thing is to add some Sea Foam to your tank and don't worry so much about what your engine is doing as a result of your fuel selection.

My 2c,

Mark

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Most marinas on the Niagara carry 89 octane. Some, not all, are non-ethanol.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A lot of marinas only carry mid grade or premium gas. There are several gas stations in the Augusta Ga area that carry ethanol free gas and 2 near Clarks Hill AKA Thurmond lake. But to answer your question there is no difference in gas between marinas and the gas station other than price.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

A lot of marinas only carry mid grade or premium gas. There are several gas stations in the Augusta Ga area that carry ethanol free gas and 2 near Clarks Hill AKA Thurmond lake. But to answer your question there is no difference in gas between marinas and the gas station other than price.

Gotta disagree. If you have a low usage marina and sloppy hygiene, sir, there certainly is a difference between marina gas and road gas especially from a frequently used, name brand, service facility on the highway. I realize it all comes from the same place and additives are put in at the destination, depending upon the name on the Marquee, but that is not the final answer when it goes through your engine.

I would like to run premium fuel in my engine but don't because I live in the country and country bumpkins usually use the cheapest fuel they can buy which means the premium just sits in the tank, and sits in the tank, and degenerates, and looses all the volatile ingredients that make the octane that it is advertised to be disappear, so why pay the premium price?

Again, my 2c, worth what just what you paid for it.

Mark

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I would like to run premium fuel in my engine but don't because I live in the country and country bumpkins usually use the cheapest fuel they can buy which means the premium just sits in the tank, and sits in the tank, and degenerates, and looses all the volatile ingredients that make the octane that it is advertised to be disappear, so why pay the premium price?

Octane goes UP as it ages... The components that raise octane are long chain hydrocarbons. They are less volatile and evaporate/break down slower than the more volatile short chain molecules. If you think about it, octane is a measure of how easy gas will ignite, the longer it sits around, the harder it becomes to light up, up to the point you can no longer light it at all.

Either way, higher octane in an engine not designed for it just means less power and more cost. Zero advantages in a typical marine engine.

oldjeep

Admiral

Around here, a marina is likely to have non ethanol/premium only. I generally just fill up with premium E10 at the gas station (3.0L wants higher octane or it runs on) and will only fill up on the water if I'm desperate and am pretty sure that they go through their gas pretty quick. Worst gas I've ever gotten was from a little "marina" that must have had some water in their tanks or their fuel was really old.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Octane goes UP as it ages... The components that raise octane are long chain hydrocarbons. They are less volatile and evaporate/break down slower than the more volatile short chain molecules. If you think about it, octane is a measure of how easy gas will ignite, the longer it sits around, the harder it becomes to light up, up to the point you can no longer light it at all.

Either way, higher octane in an engine not designed for it just means less power and more cost. Zero advantages in a typical marine engine.

Where did you get your information?

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

um.... no

oops!

Supreme Mariner

interssting.....where is kevin?....last time i talked to him he was catching a plane....hope he has his lap top

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Gotta disagree. If you have a low usage marina and sloppy hygiene, sir, there certainly is a difference between marina gas and road gas especially from a frequently used, name brand, service facility on the highway. I realize it all comes from the same place and additives are put in at the destination, depending upon the name on the Marquee, but that is not the final answer when it goes through your engine.

Again, my 2c, worth what just what you paid for it.

Mark

Hi Mark. Just a question....Why would you want to run premium in your boat if it's not designed to unless that's what your manual says. The premium has a higher octane but has different combustion priciples because it's designed to run in different compression engines. The difference between the engines dictates the fuel used. If it's designed for mid grade the high octane does nothing for you except empty your wallet. Keep in mind the engine controls and timing are designed and set for the fuel used. I totally agree with you about the age of marina fuel. I have a few stations around Augusta Ga. that I use to stay away from the ethanol. Hope you have an extended boating season like we'll have here in South Carolina. Take care

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

You going out on Clarks Hill this weekend? We will be out sunday on the Stingray. What king of boat do you float?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hi Mark. Just a question....Why would you want to run premium in your boat if it's not designed to unless that's what your manual says. The premium has a higher octane but has different combustion priciples because it's designed to run in different compression engines. The difference between the engines dictates the fuel used. If it's designed for mid grade the high octane does nothing for you except empty your wallet. Keep in mind the engine controls and timing are designed and set for the fuel used. I totally agree with you about the age of marina fuel. I have a few stations around Augusta Ga. that I use to stay away from the ethanol. Hope you have an extended boating season like we'll have here in South Carolina. Take care

Simple question, simple answer: Because I (think I ) would recapture some of the octane I lost with E10, beins my engine was mfgr'd before the advent of such and it is a known fact that E10 doesn't have the BTU capacity that plain ole gasoline has, and around here that's all you can get at the "regular" grade pump...... so I loose some of my whoopie having to burn the environmentally friendly stuff.

But in reality, I have no idea as to whether or not I would get a boost with premium because I don't buy it for the reason stated. Won't go into the past, but in the past I figured it (premium) had a longer burn cycle than the lower octane and in a 2 cycle engine you have to get your BTU's in the first half of the piston stroke cause the last half is exhaust so you want a fast burning fuel....but I never proved that "wives tale????". Pure conjecture......butt could have merit.

Mark

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote from Wikipedia: The octane rating is a measure of how likely a gasoline or liquid petroleum fuel is to self ignite. The higher the number, the less likely an engine is to pre-ignite and suffer damage ... Octane rating does not relate to the energy content of the fuel (see heating value). It is only a measure of the fuel's tendency to burn in a controlled manner, rather than exploding in an uncontrolled manner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Simple question, simple answer: Because I (think I ) would recapture some of the octane I lost with E10, beins my engine was mfgr'd before the advent of such and it is a known fact that E10 doesn't have the BTU capacity that plain ole gasoline has, and around here that's all you can get at the "regular" grade pump...... so I loose some of my whoopie having to burn the environmentally friendly stuff.

But in reality, I have no idea as to whether or not I would get a boost with premium because I don't buy it for the reason stated. Won't go into the past, but in the past I figured it (premium) had a longer burn cycle than the lower octane and in a 2 cycle engine you have to get your BTU's in the first half of the piston stroke cause the last half is exhaust so you want a fast burning fuel....but I never proved that "wives tale????". Pure conjecture......butt could have merit.

Mark

Yea I understand. Biggest propblem I have with the whole ethanol thing is that if you add regular fuel to e10 you drop the water suspension properties of the e10. For example if you have a half tank of e10 and add a half tank of regular, you now have e5. E10 can hold up to 4 teaspoons of water in suspension but the lower the E rating the less it will hold. The problem is that if you have half a tank of E10 that's old fuel or has absorbed moisture and is at it's saturation point, the addition of regular fuel under the right temp swing will allow the water and octane to drop out to the bottom of the tank. Pain in the *** but, you either stay with E10 or regular but avoid the mixing. At least some fuel stabilizers like Startron claim to stop and even reverse phase seperation. I run a water seperator and additives and try to use the fuel up so it's as fresh as possible. I wish they would just eliminate E10 so I could get corn for 10 ears for a buck again! Enjoy your holiday and be safe!

oldjeep

Admiral

Simple question, simple answer: Because I (think I ) would recapture some of the octane I lost with E10

Funny stuff since ethanol raise octane. In any event, the octane marked on the pump is the octane it is regardless of the composition of the gas. 89 octane straight gas has the same octane as 89 octane E10

oldjeep

Admiral

Yea I understand. Biggest propblem I have with the whole ethanol thing is that if you add regular fuel to e10 you drop the water suspension properties of the e10. For example if you have a half tank of e10 and add a half tank of regular, you now have e5. E10 can hold up to 4 teaspoons of water in suspension but the lower the E rating the less it will hold. The problem is that if you have half a tank of E10 that's old fuel or has absorbed moisture and is at it's saturation point, the addition of regular fuel under the right temp swing will allow the water and octane to drop out to the bottom of the tank. Pain in the *** but, you either stay with E10 or regular but avoid the mixing. At least some fuel stabilizers like Startron claim to stop and even reverse phase seperation. I run a water seperator and additives and try to use the fuel up so it's as fresh as possible. I wish they would just eliminate E10 so I could get corn for 10 ears for a buck again! Enjoy your holiday and be safe!

Again, LOL. Must only happen in the south, we've had E10 for 20+ years and it doesn't do anything but clean all the crap out of your neglected dirty fuel system (and eat hoses that should have been replaced 20 years ago)

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

Again, LOL. Must only happen in the south, we've had E10 for 20+ years and it doesn't do anything but clean all the crap out of your neglected dirty fuel system (and eat hoses that should have been replaced 20 years ago)

You are right about that. One of the best fuel system cleaners on the market. As long as you use the vehicle, boat, lawn equipment, it's usually ran out of there before it's a problem. Actually it's not a problem in the south very much. Northern climates suffer more from phase seperation. E10 is temperature swing sensitive. Like I said I have not had a problem with the boat thus far. And I'm not a scientist but only quoted what the proffesionals know about E10's characteristics. Have a great weekend.