Any advice new to boating

mad dwarf

Cadet
Just got into boating, purchased a boat with an 5.7 OMC Cobra. Boat sat outside and hasnt been run for 7 years, receiving help from friends who have been boating for many years but are not very familiar with OMC.

So far we changed the shift cable to the outdrive, inspected the bellows and impellar, both of which were in great shape, which surprised my experienced help. Had the carb rebuilt, changed out motor oil and filter, gear oil in outdrive. Removed all old fuel left in the fuel cell and swabbed out whatever water was in the cell also changed fuel filter. Pulled off the exhaust manifolds and risers, (they were rusty but not clogged), replaced the gaskets, soldered a few areas on the powersteering cooler that had leaks. Ran the motor on muffs, everything seems fine so far except the oil level went up about 1/4 inch, we are hoping this is just from condensation and possible fuel mix from not being able to run the engine hard yet, person I bought boat from winterized it best he knew how, however when we got it to my house there was a little water maybe a cup full from not having rodded out the drain hole, would this be enough to cause internal freeze damage?

We had put the boat in the water only to hear some drips coming from what we believe is the hose the shift cable runs through near the transom, or possibly where the "Y" part of the exhaust connection. Hard to actually see or tell. Decided to pull the boat out of the water and hold off on running it till we install a secondary bilge pump.

Any other things we may have overlooked on doing to an OMC prior to putting the boat in the water for a test run?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Any advice new to boating

Make darn sure the lower unit has been filled properly, OMC cobra's have a unique way of filling,improper fill is one of the main causes of a locked up seized burned up gearset.

mad dwarf

Cadet

We changed the gear oil per the omc manual. We didnt mix any fuel, what I meant by fuel mix, is fuel that did not burn off mixing in with the oil.

Another question, we had to carefully grind off the old gaskets from the exhaust manifolds and risers, they were pretty much fused to the manifolds and risers. Having done so would you recommend using permatex with the new gaskets or just put them on and see if they seal? Area does not look bad, just not completely smooth like they probably should be.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The replacement gaskets you get should be a graphite type material. It is pretty thick. But she surfaces need to be flat as possible. I have a big stationary belt sander to clean mine up. As for the rtv. I wont do munch good. It wont adhere to the gaskets. Also, if the gaskets are pretty inexpensive get two of every gasket you order. Cause of you needed it once you'll probably lying need it again.