1992 60hp Evinrude rebuild questions

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone

There is someone near where I live selling a 60hp Evinrude for 350 obo and says one cylinder has lower compression and needs a rebuild.How much would I be looking at in parts to do this? if I tried this rebuild myself.Is this Outboard worth it also? or should I keep looking for something else? I have alot of mechanical exp with automotive so this will be my first venture in marine engines.Thanks guys.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1992 60hp Evinrude rebuild questions

Lots of unanswered questions, why is the compression low, how low is it? Defective head gasket, cheap repair. Engine carboned up, easy fix. Scored cylinder or piston damage, could be costly. Only way to tell is pull the head and check. This is one of those situations that is hard to answer because of all the variables.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Daviet. For $350 (obo means $300) I would take the chance that it can be made healthy pretty easily. I can't count the number of outboards I have seen condemned to overhaul that were only sick, not broke, and were recovered with a gasket or a decarb or, in at least one case, by a correctly performed compression test.

If it is really broke there are more than $350 in good parts there.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys I was kind of thinking the same as you both mentioned.