I'm blowing a fuse....

ADKBoatGuy

Cadet
in my head!!

I've been reading and reading, looking online for wire, inline fuses etc and I can't figure out what I'm doing.

I have a 14ft 1972 Starcraft Holiday. I have a MinnKota Endura C2 30 trolling motor (as a backup to my OB) , Johnson 500 gph bilge pump, red/green bow light, and white stern light.

I'd like to put my battery upfront to balance the load. Problem is the wires from the trolling motor is too short, Its about 10ft to where I want to put the battery. I looked at a table online to calculate wire size and came up with a 10 gauge wire but Minn Kota calls for a 50amp fuse on the wire. I can't find any inline fuses for 10 gauge/50amp but I can find 8 gauge/50 amp.

1) What's the down side to using 8 gauge over 10 gauge?
2) Can I hook my trolling motor, bilge, and lights to the same battery? (I'm trying to keep the weight down)
3) What gauge wire/fuse should I use for bilge?
4) What gauge wire/fuse for the lights?

Once I get that all figured out I'd like to have at least one cig lighter type jack.

Thanks!

j_martin

Admiral
Re: I'm blowing a fuse....

in my head!!

I've been reading and reading, looking online for wire, inline fuses etc and I can't figure out what I'm doing.

I have a 14ft 1972 Starcraft Holiday. I have a MinnKota Endura C2 30 trolling motor (as a backup to my OB) , Johnson 500 gph bilge pump, red/green bow light, and white stern light.

I'd like to put my battery upfront to balance the load. Problem is the wires from the trolling motor is too short, Its about 10ft to where I want to put the battery. I looked at a table online to calculate wire size and came up with a 10 gauge wire but Minn Kota calls for a 50amp fuse on the wire. I can't find any inline fuses for 10 gauge/50amp but I can find 8 gauge/50 amp.

1) What's the down side to using 8 gauge over 10 gauge?
2) Can I hook my trolling motor, bilge, and lights to the same battery? (I'm trying to keep the weight down)
3) What gauge wire/fuse should I use for bilge?
4) What gauge wire/fuse for the lights?

Once I get that all figured out I'd like to have at least one cig lighter type jack.

Thanks!

1. Cost of the wire
2. yes
3. Depends on pump. Normal 500-800 gpm pump, 14 - 16g, 3 - 5A
4. 14 - 16g. Fuse depends on lights, but probably fairly small.
cig lighter 14 g, 10 amp.

Wire size is a minimum, and is dependent on current and length of the circuit. Higher number is smaller size.

hope it helps
john

hope it helps