Help buying boat

Cal195

Seaman Apprentice
I am new to boating, I currently have a 1987 Sea Ray Seville 17. I LOVE it, and LOVE being in the water. We live in Pa and boat mostly in the Susquehanna River....so this boat is perfect. I would like to expand and purchase a boat that I could use for fishing in the Bay and Gulf. I am thinking a center console but have no idea on a make or more importantly size. I would never take more than 4 people total so a HUGE boat is not needed.................Thanks for your input!!

Prattville

Cadet
Re: Help buying boat

I only fish Salt Water, and Bays.... In my experience the water can become unprodictable rather quickly.... We all try to avoid it, but sometimes we are just stuck in the middle of it. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller then 22' if your going to deep water, but if your staying close to land you could get away with a boat as small as 18', but don't push your luck. I personally have a 25' Bay Boat and go as far as 38 miles off the coast of Mississippi. There are many options and brands of boats to choose from now days, and to be frank none really surpass another, besides the options that are available on it. I opted for a Sea Chaser (http://www.carolinaskiff.com/sc-bayrunner.html) but ultimately you need to look and see what fits your needs an desires. I would say your choices would be around a Bay or Roll Gunnel style hull; giving you the option to go in deeper water, but still capable of getting into the shallows. Every boat these days incorporate "FOAM" instead of wood..... Some ride better because of the amount they wiegh, or the degree of the bow. So many options...... All I can say is look around, and get what you want! Because in the end your stuck with the payment. Just please what ever you do..... Buy a GPS, and a VHF Radio; it could save you a lot of heart ache.

Cal195

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Help buying boat

Thanks for the info......it was very helpful.