165 Mercruiser, Spark, Fuel, Timed but will not start

albtross

Cadet
Hey guys,

I've been a lurker here for a few months now. I'm a very experienced mechanic on motorcycles, small engines, cars, and have been an aircraft mechanic for 23 years but this engine has me stumped!

Here is the quick background info;

-165 Mercruiser with a cracked bloc under the manifold
-Manifold was also cracked
-Bought 250 GM truck motor with 77 000kms but not run in 3 yrs
-did a swap of all marine stuff
-pulled the head, checked cylinders, valves reassembled new gaskets.
-installed the motor with-out a snag at all
-New battery, turns over great.
-Has good spark in all cylinders
-set up timeing staticly
-rechecked the valve lash
-compression may be a little low because it hasn't run in a while but I oiled the cylinders well to help

Damn thing will not fire up even when I use Ether. It has backfired once or twice but never even tried to start.

It just does not make sense!

Does anyone have any suggestions that I might not have tried!

Patiently waiting for the genius who tells me that one simple trick and make me look like a fool! :)

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 165 Mercruiser, Spark, Fuel, Timed but will not start

It is a simple engine.
If it has spark and fuel, it may be an issue of timing.
Do you have the distributor in correctly?

Randy

Bondo

Staff member

It is a simple engine.
If it has spark and fuel, it may be an issue of timing.
Do you have the distributor in correctly?

Randy

Ayuh,... That's My guess,... Yer off on the distributer by a tooth or More...

Volphin

Lieutenant

Yepper. Dist is off.

V

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Damn thing will not fire up even when I use Ether. It has backfired once or twice but never even tried to start.

If it is backfiring I would look to the timing. Sounds like it is way retarded. Mark the #1 cyl on the side of the distributor, bring it to TDC compression, remove cap, is rotor pointed exactly at the mark?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I agree with all of the above - in fact, mu money would be on the distributor being 180 degrees out. Turn it 180 and see what happens.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

-compression may be a little low because it hasn't run in a while but I oiled the cylinders well to help

180 out on the distributor is probably the cause, but????????

What is your compression numbers? Are you positive you adjusted the valves per spec? Did you have the engine on #1 TDC of the compression stroke? (not the exhaust stroke). If you were off on that, you would have low compression on some cylinders, and it would never start.

albtross

Cadet

I thought of that but the distributir on this engine drops into a keyway similar to a common screw. It is offset so it can only go in one way. When I first installed it it would not sit all teh way down inside. When I removed it I could see that it was 180 degrees off. I will pull out the distributor and double check it again to be sure I didn't miss something.

Iam not too worried about compression numbers right now because even with 0 PSI it should fire with ether spray in. I expect the compression to be a little low until it runs a bit and loosens up. It has not been run in 3 yrs.

Does this makes sense to most of you?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Double check the distributor timing as mentioned. But old engines can be super stuborn to start if the lifters have collapsed. They can take time to pump up.

albtross

Cadet

I did have the #1 at TDC on compression when I timed. I actually went through the whole valve timing a second time to be sure. I will put the compression gauge on it after I double check the distributor tonight.

I know it has to be something simple because this engine is as simple as they get!

Thanks for the ideas, keepthem coming and I will post what I find. gotta hate posts that don't follow through and give the answers to the problems, regardless of how embarrassing they can be.

albtross

Cadet

I was worried about this too. This is the first lifter engine I have worked on. All others have been overhead valves. It has turn over plenty. It has good oil pressure because oils is being pumped up to the head and rocker arms. I searched this forum and others for advice on setting the rocker arms up. I set them at 1/4 turn after resistance is felt on the push rods and will adjust after it is running if needed.

albtross

Cadet

That is a real simple way to check, isn't it!

I'll do it this way tonight.

Thanks very much.

Gotta love using work time to solve problems at home! Low motivation for work today I guess.

albtross

Cadet

DSCN1904.jpg

This is what the end of my distributor looks like. It can only go in one of 2 ways or am I missing something?

Volphin

Lieutenant

You know, sometimes I still screw up and put the plugs in the wrong locations on the distributor cap. It is very humbling. LOL Double check that too.

V

albtross

Cadet

YES. The bottom tab drives the oil pump, it's position doesn't mean anything to the ignition timing. (You can stick a long screw driver down the hole and turn the oil pump.

I see what you mean now!

This is probably the problem. Thanks.

I am so excited I should leave work early to go fix this. :D

albtross

Cadet

This was one of the first thngs I checked. I did get it right.

albtross

Cadet

So,

The distributor was off a tooth. I thought yehaah, this has got to be it! Damn thing will still not fire up, so for the fun of it I checked compression in all cylinders. 1 and 6 have 120psi which is pretty good for an engine that has not run in 3 yrs. 2,3,4,5 read 0 psi. I would think this is valves, not piston leak. I put oil in the cylinder and tried again with no change.

Looks like a head rebuild. Do you guys think I am on the mark here?

You would think it would still fire with ether spray in but it didn't. :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should have been able to hear that problem just in how it cranked over.

BEFORE you start yanking it apart without a clue as to why you have 0 compression on 5 cylinders try this. Remove the valve covers ands crank the engines. Do all valves move? If they do, back off all the rocker arms so there is about 3 threads showing above the adjustment nut and try your compression test again.
It really sounds to me like you have the valves adjusted all wrong.
Do you have a manual for this engine?

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Are you sure the valves are not adjusted too tight?