1978 johnson 9.9 propeller choice.....

stratos201s

Seaman Apprentice
I run a 1978 johnson 9.9 on a 12 ft aluminum jon boat. I usually go by myself or one other person and a couple tackle boxes and poles. Trolling battery and 6 gallons of fuel. Also I carry a drag anchor. I currently run a 9.25 x 10 aluminum propeller and am looking for some more speed to get to my fishing hole. Do i have any choices or is this about it for the lil 9.9? Thanks ahead of time for all your time!! You guys are awesome.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 johnson 9.9 propeller choice.....

At the very least we need to know your present speed.
And to tell if your setup is working your rpm is needed.
The 9.9 on a light reasonably fast boat should do about 21 mph.
Of course less with a load.Does the boat plane?What is the width of the boat?
12/36, 12/42 or ?Once we establish the motor is indeed running full power,
and setup well you will do better in the prop section.

stratos201s

Seaman Apprentice

Of course! haha I should have known all that before I presented the question. I will get a tach hooked up and yes it gets up on plane. It is a 12/30 flat bottom jon 1973 model. Very light. I don't know my current speed but i will get that soon. I weigh 175 lbs and 6 gallons of gas in metal can then sometimes a 170 lb passenger and 2 small tackleboxes and 4 poles. Maybe a cooler if we're feeling lucky. Thanks for the help!

dazk14

Ensign

You can get an aftermarket stainless steel prop. Not too pricey and a little performance boost, 9" or 10"pitch sounds about right, but get the data steel asked for.

BTW- Some of the aftermarket aluminum props I have seen are a horrible design. You may want to post a pic.

The Solas aluminum cost ~$50 and the Stainless ~$115 here at iboats. I have found that these props tend to act as slightly larger pitches compared to stock.