Cleaning carbs project

shakazulu

Seaman
My force 125 needs carbs cleaning. It seems that something is blocking fuel, it can not idle and this happened in 2 days it was getting worse and worse. Now I can start it only on high throtle on idle. When I reduce throttle it dies . I checked spark, works on all 4 cylinders. I checked fuel diaphragm, I will change this also but it looks good. Anyway I was planing a carbs cleaning so please point me some important things for which I should be carefull when disasembling carbs. I am planing to unscrew it from motor and then everything is adventure for me. So if there is some topic where this was before explained please write me . I searched some videos on youtube and there are instructions for carb cleaning but not for force . Is it good to wash carb in a diesel fuel or some other liquid is better? Thank you for help.

p.s. I am also suspecting in water in the fuel but this is less likely, first I would like to clean carbs.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cleaning carbs project

Before cleaning carbs you should do a compression test on all 4 cylinders. I have a 125 force outboard also and did the exact same as your. Lost compression on #2 and #4 had bad scoring on cylinder wall. Funny though #4 still had good compression. There were other things but we don't need to get into that. Always compression first.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Using gas or diesel fuel to clean.No! You have gas going through them all the time and it just gums them up.
Use a carb cleaner. Check for water.
First post has a post by FrankA called a linc and sinc.Do this after you clean.
It's a simple carb.Not hard to do.J

fucawi

Banned

for cleaning aluminium like new soak in Celulose thinners..blow all out with compressed air

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you suspect a partial blockage in the carb passages, try this.... when it's running steady.. "blip" your choke on for a split second, it will dog out, and maybe die on you. Restart, get it back to a smooth high idle, try it again.. just a quick blip. This will create a super-vacuum that just might pull any crap through a clogged passage. If all of a sudden, after letting the engine clear out, it runs good and normal, you may have found the problem.. dirt.

Bob

fucawi

Banned

blonde goes into a garage with a misfire on her car ...shiit in the carburetter says the mechanic ....blonde says how often ...got it ...

shakazulu

Seaman

I found the problem. I opened the fuel filter and disconnected fuel line. Started motor and it worked fine for 2 minutes till it burned all the fuel that was in the system and then died. After that I connected fuel line and fuel pump again ( it says "filter" on it ) and started motor again and it works good now . It seems that pressure from electric pump flooded one of the carbs. In the mean time I messed with all screws, idle screw, timing screw, idle mixture screw. Now I have to tune it all up . So I gave up from cleaning carbs at the moment but I will have to do it in close future.

Tomorow I am going to try to tune it all good. I noticed that motor starts easily in idle when idle mixture screws are 1 turn out or even less . Also, when set this way when I put in gear it doesn't die and before it did die if I didn't add more throttle momentaly . I learned from earlier posts that it is dangerous to have less that 1 1/4 turn out, but motor works good in idle and has big strength when it is 1 turn out or less .

shakazulu

Seaman

Today I set timing, I set it with timing light on full throttle on the sea. I also set the idle mixture screw and I am not sure now did I understand right the sticky post.
It says there that you need to turn the screw 1 turn, I suppose 360 . But when I turn it 360 degrees idle is weak and it dies when I put in gear . When I turn screw 180 degrees idle is great and strong, it works on 750 -800 rpm in idle in gear ( I installed tiny tach ) . So is it in sticky 360 or 180 degrees ?

Needles look great .

The other thing is that when on 750-800 rpm my lower carb misses every few seconds and on right side it spits fuel through the small hole . This newer happens on upper carb . Do I need to turn idle screw on lower carb clockwise or other direction to stop it spitting fuel ? When I add throttle spitting stops . What could be the reason of this ? Do I need to change anything with the float in carb ?

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you been to do a float adjustment and check for proper needle seat in the carbs. If there is any crud at needle seat position then fuel will be able to flow through. I noticed compression is good and im very happy for you all is well there. If float is unable to close needle valve then its a simple adjustment and worth the time to do it.