2 stroke outboard motors

I read on another forum site that all 2 stroke outboard motors will be outlawed in 2004. Is this true or are 2 stroke motors here to stay? I have seen 4 stroke motors more and more, but they are expensive. Please fill me in, thanks.<br />Scott

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2 stroke outboard motors

Howdy, Scott.<br /><br />Fear not, mate. 2 strokes will be around for a while.<br /><br />Some localities may ban the use of 2 strokes, but they are, and will be, a minority. <br /><br />Where 2 strokes are most likely to disappear from the new engine marketplace is in small engines, under say, 30hp. <br /><br />With so many 20 to 50 year old small 2 stroke engines in use today, you can count on seeing today's li'l 2 strokes in use 50 years from now.<br /><br />By then you will be able to buy 30lb, 3hp 4 strokes.<br /><br />Cheers. :)

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been on here every now and then defending the honor of two strokes. But now I'm thinking - what the hell am I defending them for? The EPA already screwed us with the stroke of their pen so preaching to yal'l isn't going to help. In fact, I think every new motor you guys buy should be a 4 stroke. I'll be happy to give whatever the dealer will for your old gas guzzler 2 stepper. Hey JB- you still got that old merc V6? I got a 7 petal front I'd like to try out on it and see if I can get 250 HP out of it. I'll give you $250 for it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What? <br /><br />I don't have a Merc of any size. Personal issue.