Repairing 83 Sea Ray Seville

OutaCash

Recruit
I recently purchased an 83 Sea Ray Seville with a cuddy and 120 GM 4 cyl engine. This is my first boat and the previous owner had all new vinyl installed 4 years ago; no tears, cracks, or wear to any of the vinyl. The engine runs great and see no problems in the drive train. The hull is in very good shape with no cracks or checks. Teak is good and all fabric in the cuddy is original and looks like it was never used. But...

After getting into it I have found significant rot in the floor and stringers. I am concerned I just bought a major problem and questioned my sanity for wanting a boat.

Searched the internet to find out how to fix this boat. Found iBoats and started reading various posts with some good tips and instructions. I have spent a lifetime fixing mechanical stuff (but not marine), have too many tools (per my wife) and a Mercruiser repair manual came with the boat so I have decided to follow the guidance of this forum and tackle the repairs myself.

I have removed the engine and all stern drive components and will install new TL switch, bellows, gaskets, seals, gimbal bearing, etc. The transom wood for the stern drive is solid and the exposed wood where the drive mounts through the hull is dry and no signs of rot.

I discovered the lower half of the starboard transom piece is soft where the swim platform supports, speedometer sensor and transducer is mounted. I removed the swim platform and some water trickled out one of the screw holes for the platform supports and a couple of the screws won?t tighten so I suspect this is rotted.

Also, the dash panel for the switches is faded and the letters and navigation graphics have flaked off. I would like to keep the original look but cannot find a replacement dash panel anywhere on the internet. Any ideas on how to obtain a replacement?

Will begin posting some photos of my restore attempt. I paid too much for the boat but the trailer is okay and to me the boat is still worth putting a couple of thousand into it and will still be less than I would pay for a newer boat that could have hidden issues.

Any input and suggestions for what else I should check or replace on this relic would be welcome.

Last edited:

OutaCash

Recruit
Re: Repairing 83 Sea Ray Seville

I have pretty well finished wire brushing minor corrosion on stern drive housings and exhaust system. Primed and painted everything. Had to fix some pitting and gasket surfaces with Marine Tex but all components now look new.

After finding all the rot on the floor under the carpet I was concerned that the transom, even though it looks and feels solid, may have some rot. I pulled the garboard drain plug assembly. The 3 screws that hold the housing in place were tight and after removing the flange the wood in the hole was dry and solid. I poked everything with a screwdriver and it didn't even dent the surface. If there was any rot I would think this lowest part of the transom would definitely show it. I pounded all around with a hammer and has a solid sound, no soft or wet wood in any of the holes for the stern drive mounting bolts or the garboard drain flange and no signs of any hull flexing, cracks or wear in the area where the stern drive and transom plate bolt up to the hull. Can I assume I don't need to worry about messing with the transom?