Yamaha 25HP 2Stroke Carb - 25ESHX3 - DIY

junglebacon

Recruit
first yammi, wondering how big of a job to do a carb clean/repair. Local dealership wants $400 plus parts for the carb job plus $200 and parts for tune-up. I can't image there is much to a small 2stroke carb even if it does have three cylinders and hoping to save a few bucks.

Easy / Hard?

Re: Yamaha 25HP 2Stroke Carb - 25ESHX3 - DIY

Two stroke carbs are much more forgiving than 4 stroke carbs. Biggest thing is to do timing and sync and link. 400 does sound a bit high for just a carb overhaul and fuel pump(?) Yamaha kits are expensive and I would use OEM kits. Did you take it to the shop and this is what they told you?

junglebacon

Recruit

Compression good, motor has a total of 50 hours on it, so the plan was to just clean and set mixture, I have found carb kit for $25 (screws/gaskets etc) and I assume I have to times that by three for each cylinder? Called Yammi dealership and that is what they told me, oh and no not the fuel pump. Plan was to take a weekend and do it myself but again have never done before and wanted to make sure i did not get in over my head.

This is a 3 carb 3 cylinder engine? And is only 25 horse power? Here is the thing, a shop loves to sell parts over the counter to customers because chances are they are going to screw things up more than what is currently wrong. If you have never done it before in all honesty you are probably going to mess up/not going to get the results you are looking for.

robert graham

Admiral

25HP Yamaha 2 stroke is 2 cylinders/2 carbs.....Do you know that the carbs need cleaning/rebuilding?...:)

junglebacon

Recruit

It actually has 3 cylinders, I wanted to do a carb cleaning as a precautionary measure, I have helped do carbs on old (56/57) Johnsons, so I am not too green at this but nothing with oil injection. Motor exhibits all the signs of a fouled carb and given that it has not been properly stored over 10 winters it was sort of a given that I would do a tune up and carb clean/repair. But looking at about $700 for both makes me feel the DIY route is a better option, I doubt the motor is worth that much!

Never done yammi, never done carb with oil injection, never done a three carb motor wanted to know if there are any "gotchas" or something special with Yammis that would make the DIY route not worth it. My though is a carb is a carb.

Handyman1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi and welcome to iboats make sure everything is adjusted to specks. The hardest part is the linc and sinc you pretty much have to do it by ear and hope for the best. Good luck

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Yamaha service manual will give the link and sync procedure needed.
My 40 was fairly simple , just make sure you do not put parts from one into another carb as some have different jets

junglebacon

Recruit

I wanted to thank everyone who offered advice, I think I will do it myself as I have the manual and hey there is a little more pride in something you do yourself.

Thanks
I'll let you know if I screw it up royally!

Handyman1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Let us know how it turns out thanks.