alpha one gimbal bearing install question

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,
I plan on pulling my gimbal bearing this weekend. After checking all the posts about removal and homemade pullers I am pretty confident that I can get it out. My question is, "can I use this to install it?" http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Bearing-and-Race-Installer/_/N-264s?counter=0&itemIdentifier=391360_0_0_. I know that there is a special merc tool. But, I can rent this one for free. Do you guys think that it will work? Any suggestions as I take on this project? Thanks guys!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: alpha one gimbal bearing install question

No, that is not the installer you need, those are for bearing races. It will not put pressure on the outer race of the bearing.
Look at the bearing, then you will understand.

Look at the pictures of the oem installation tool at the bottom of this link.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=329915

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I see now. Thank you Don! I will go off your picture and have my buddys at the machine shop do a "government" job for me. since I do not know the I.D. I will also have them make me a matching driver rod. I will pull the drive and measure the I.D. Of the housing so I can also have them make me a "plate" shown in the picture.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I've never used the plate for installing the bearing, you just need to hold the rod square with the bearing race, so the bearing goes straight in.

Pikey23

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good to know. I will not have them make the plate. Do you happen to know the length of the driver rod? I have to be careful with these guys. I had them make me a alignment tool and put on the drawing that it should be somewhere between 24 and 36 inches. They made it 36 inches, knurled all the way down from the relief groove, out of stainless steel. The thing is super heavy. I can't complain though, they do it for free!