Who has a Toyota Highlander Hybrid?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You may recall how pleased I was when "Li'l Blue" quieted down and ran better after service and in cooler, damper weather. Well, that didn't last long, so I am investigating replacing her with a stronger, quieter vehicle without giving up reliability or economy.

My "bible" for this investigation is Consumer Reports annual Cars issue. I want something that is quiet, powerful and comfortable. . . .with the reliability of a Subaru, Honda or Toyota.

I have located a private party offering of a '06 Highlander Hybrid with 112K. It is in a distant (75 miles) town, so I plan to go there on the weekend to drive it.

Consumers' raves about this car. 27-28mpg, 0-60 in under 8 seconds (Li'l Blue takes about 11 seconds). It is their top rated choice of all the SUVs in the world.

Who has one? What sort of performance and comfort do you get?

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Who has a Toyota Highlander Hybrid?

You may recall how pleased I was when "Li'l Blue" quieted down and ran better after service and in cooler, damper weather. Well, that didn't last long, so I am investigating replacing her with a stronger, quieter vehicle without giving up reliability or economy.

My "bible" for this investigation is Consumer Reports annual Cars issue. I want something that is quiet, powerful and comfortable. . . .with the reliability of a Subaru, Honda or Toyota.

I have located a private party offering of a '06 Highlander Hybrid with 112K. It is in a distant (75 miles) town, so I plan to go there on the weekend to drive it.

Consumers' raves about this car. 27-28mpg, 0-60 in under 8 seconds (Li'l Blue takes about 11 seconds). It is their top rated choice of all the SUVs in the world.

Who has one? What sort of performance and comfort do you get?

Don't own one JB, but have driven the Prius, and Lexus 400H. Performance is good, and the cars are obviously silent when your running electrically.

Question that comes to mind, how much life does the "traction battery" have left on a 5 year old car with 110K. Toyota claims that the battery is supposed to last the life of the car, but we all know battery's don't last for ever. A new one is upwards of 3K+. This may be a question to run by a Toyota tech if you know any.

mscher

Lieutenant

We have an 06' limited, with a little over 100k. It is the best built Toyota I have ever driven. Built in Japan. We get 24-25MPG. Drive great on long trips, but the seats are a little thin (for me anyway).

I drive with a CDL, so I have no intention of finding it's top end. It will, however go from about 80-110MPH, in just a few seconds. If someone laughs at me because I'm driving a hybrid, their look will go from smirk, to perplexed quickly , as I leave them standing in the dust. Cram the accelerator to the floor and you have a 270HP V6 and two 68HP electric motors, running full tilt.

The only problem (and i could be a biggie), is if there is ever a medium-major problem, in the Synergy drive system, you may have to crack open even the huge "JB" piggy bank, as these repairs can be unreal. ;) I have heard where the inverter replacement can run $14K. Also heard of owners so distraught, over massive repair costs, that the dealer felt a little "guilty" and gave them a great trade in, on a new car (the dealer probably replaced the part for much less.

There are extremely reliable, but if there is a drive problem, it will probabley hurt - a lot. Plus, not many technicians are hybrid trained. The usual stuff, brakes, struts oil change, etc. are common parts.

Otherwise, you may go 250K+ and not have any problems. When it dies, part it out.

We love it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Great vehicle with fantastic power and acceleration for it's size. I will admit it may not ride like a mercedes but you should be pleased. I would not hesitate to get one.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

A friend just bought a used 2010 Rav 4 w the V6, auto for his wife. I got to drive it 100 mi. back home and it is a pretty amazing little car. It performs like a two seater sportscar very nimble and quick and very fun to drive. I think the mpg is 28/34? not quite as large as the Highlander but they look almost identical.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

"For girls"? Dang :facepalm: Id drive one anyway if I could afford it. Like all Toyotas they're pretty proud of them, I think my buddy paid $24 or $26K for one w 20k mi. I was suprised by the performance, It would almost pin you to the seat w not alot of peddle at all speeds. And very stable feeling at 75+ on the interstate. I never did floor it, didnt need to!

JB

Unfortunately a RAV4 is for girls. :)

That is what I heard about my Forester, but it is a great little car; just a bit short on thrust, quiet and wind stability for an old man's taste.

JB

Drove a '06 Highlander Hybrid Limited today. Just a short run, but was VERY impressed. The power really surprised me. . . ZOOM!! :D Very quiet, smooth ride, only a little bit larger than Li'l Blue. They cost a ton (about $40K) when new, but once they pass 100K the price difference goes away. This one has 135K on it and is asking $15K.

Thanks for the input, friends. A Highlander Hybrid Limited may be my next vehicle. :)

Bigprairie1

Commander

Go for it JB. I've heard nothing but positive things about the Highlanders whether they are the hybrid or not. Personally I prefer the highlander over the (new) 4-runner....it just seems to be a lot nicer sized vehicle much like the old 4-runner was until it 'got fat'.
My two bits.
BP

JRJ

Commander

We have really enjoyed our 05 V-6 4x4 not electric. Good driver, desent mileage, no troubles. Easy in and out for the body and can carry a Costco run :cool:

Liopleurodon

Cadet

That price sounds great, just a couple things to add:
1. Toyota explicitly noted that the Highlander hybrid is not intended to go off road. Now you might say "well of course, it's a crossover", but the fact that they said it explicitly about the hybrid suggests that there's something sensitive about the hybrid architecture.
2. I read a first hand report of towing with a Highlander (non-hybrid) that the unibody was actually damaged in a very serious way. The general impression I have is that most crossovers are overrated for towing, but I have that specific report on a Highlander proving so. For perspective, the Honda Pilot and Ridgeline, though unibody, are specially reinforced. Consider that Toyota has the 4Runner for a rugged hauling SUV while the Pilot competes with both 4Runner and Highlander and in some ways is in the middle.

If you're looking for a basic reliable large car/van type vehicle, that Highlander hybrid sounds like a great buy. If you have some heavy duty expectations, I might suggest an extra close look at how the Highlander hybrid lines up against them.

mscher

Lieutenant

Drove a '06 Highlander Hybrid Limited today. Just a short run, but was VERY impressed. The power really surprised me. . . ZOOM!! :D Very quiet, smooth ride, only a little bit larger than Li'l Blue. They cost a ton (about $40K) when new, but once they pass 100K the price difference goes away. This one has 135K on it and is asking $15K.

Thanks for the input, friends. A Highlander Hybrid Limited may be my next vehicle. :)

That's a pretty good starting price.

Just make sure the struts have been replaced, or you will be shelling out about $500, just for parts. replacment tire prices are cringe-worthy, also, so if the thred is not thick beat down the price a little more.

JB

Well, I found out the one in Wichita Falls was a 4X4 hybrid (Their 4X4i system is really AWD), but not a Limited. I bought it anyway.
Gonna upgrade to get the trip computer and make the A/C automatic. New struts and tires.:)

Okay so far. Will report anything significant.

BTW, what is a CDL??

mscher

Lieutenant

Well, I found out the one in Wichita Falls was a 4X4 hybrid (Their 4X4i system is really AWD), but not a Limited. I bought it anyway.
Gonna upgrade to get the trip computer and make the A/C automatic. New struts and tires.:)

Okay so far. Will report anything significant.

BTW, what is a CDL??

Good for you! They are very solid vehicles.

CDL is Commerical Drivers License.

Getting a reckless driving violation, for going way too fast does not help one's driving career any more. I was thinking that the max top speed, on the hybrid, was much higher than it really is, which is about 112mph. (speedo goes much higher) If that is the case I was pretty close, to top end, if only for a few seconds. They are taking all of the fun out of performance driving.

Have fun

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My boss just bought one of these used for his wife to drive and they like it. Don't be surprised if your gas mileage is less than expected.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

JB, Are you going to be towing anything with this Highlander?

JB

Probably, Vlad.

She is rated for 3500#. Very unlikely to ever exceed 2000#. I have a 9' utility trailer and might get another Boston Whaler 13' to 17'.

I will have to install a tow package myself. The Dealer wants a bit over $600 to do it for me, but there are OEM kits on ebay for less than half that.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Installing an adequate tranny cooler might be in order, since we all end up towing more than we had initially intended to sooner or later.

JB

It has a Continuously Variable Transmission, Vlad. Fluid is not used to transfer torque. What would I cool??

Thanks for the input, though. Even if I could think of everything I probably wouldn't.:redface: