Motorola DROID 3. WHAT AN AMAZNG PHONE!!!!!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Up to now (aka the last 8 years) I used a simple "flip phone" that just made phone calls, and texting was difficult with just a number pad.

So, when the old phone started to have problems, I decided to get a new phone. I did the research, found all the options, read all the reviews, and decided on the Droid 3 by Motorola (sold by Verizon). Phone is $200 on an upgrade, but I got another $50 off through my employer.

What a kick-butt phone this is!!!!! Its more of a hand held PC that makes phone calls than a phone. The whole 3g thing is cool (I know 4 g is the latest, but I am in the biz, and 3 g is still the most reliable). Crazy that it has a 1Ghz Dual Core processor!!!!! I bet most of you do not have a dual core processor, and 4 or 5 years ago did not have a 1 GHZ processor in that huge desk top PC. Not to mention it comes with a 4" HD screen that fits in my pocket. Absolutely insane. Especially coming from a guy who processes these wireless signals from the towers through the servers and into the mainframes that do the actual work. Speeds are totally freeking me out.... I design the mainframe end where the data is actually processed (like facebook, or yahoo, etc)

Anyway.......

The Droid 3 does so much, it took me 9 days to figure out all the details, and I am still downloading apps, and using the manager to determine when to kill some aps. And the stupid phone will let me connect my laptop wireless to the phone that makes a 3G WAN internet connections for up to 6 laptops. Absolutely crazy in a 3x5 inch x 1/2" package, with a 4" diagonal screen, shoots 1080p Hi def video and photos, and will do it all day long on the optional larger battery (which I bought).

I am afraid what will happen when I retire and technology just runs past me. Guess I will be an old fart.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Motorola DROID 3. WHAT AN AMAZNG PHONE!!!!!!

Yep - I have the original droid. Very nice indeed. I'm so used to it that I dont want to upgrade. Download pandora internet radio. I use pandora on my droid to play music while on the boat. It connect into the ipod jack.

angus63

Captain

Another benefit is you still have internet via 3g when the power is out. My smartphone is the only electronic device I use now. Laptop, camera, video camera, gps, calculator, pager, portable radio, etc... all gathering dust now. About a year under my belt now and still discovering new uses. Used the phone to level my generator!

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Now pay $12 and download the Navionics lake and ocean maps for your area! Activate the GPS and you now have at your finger tips, lake and ocean maps with bottom contours, GPS speedometer, and you can mark good fishing spots or mark your boat ramp and find it in the dark. AWESOME application!

I have it on three phones. One is my Droid 1 that no longer gets internet or phone, but the GPS still works, and so do the maps.

attachment.php

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Have 1 and love it, and gotta love the 250,000+ aps available...it's true what they say - there's an app for that :cool:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Got the droid X for 9 months or so..posting from it now!
love it..the Company is talking iphones for all..we will see how that goes, but I love my droid!!

i386

Captain

Congrats on the new phone Mark. You will wonder how you ever got along without it.

Wife has a Droid X and loves it. 2 weeks ago work issued me an iPad. Today they gave me an iPhone. I'm still learning to use them.

badkins50

yeah that is a great phone for sure and congrats. i loved the droid 2 i had and went back and forth on my decision on either upgrading between the droid 3 or the thunderbolt. that 4" screen makes a world of difference and the resolution is amazing. since i'm not really a gamer and the full keyboard did not make any difference to me, i went with the faster network because i surf the net, email a lot and download music all the time. i am grandfathered in under the unlimited data package which makes it nice too. so far i'm 2 months in the tunderbolt and love it too. i tell you these new phones are just a powerful as the comtures.

soggy_feet

Love my DX. I've retired my netbook to chartplotter duty, and use the droid for pretty much everything else. Love the HD video it shoots.
Have a friend who got an X after playing around with mine, and he really uses it to its potential. He's set up for remote access to his laptop from it, and he can use his laptop for remote access to a couple different desalinization plants down on some of the resort islands in the Caribbean to tweak parameters when they're having trouble with them. Thats the impressive thing he does anyway...

204 Escape

Ensign

I've carried the DROID X for around a year now. I had a BlackBerry. There are a few things that I liked about the BB. BUT, the DROID just flat out blows the BB away !!!!!!!! (My wife and 2 sons just got a HTC Merge. ANOTHER impressive unit !!! )

j.4knee

Seaman Apprentice

My wife recently bought the Droid 3 and she loves it. She is a textaholic so she really loves the slide out qwerty keyboard. She uses it on our WiFi at home to save data useage. I still use my Crackberry from work. I may look hard at the next iteration of the iPhone when it comes out. I do have to admit her Droid 3 is a nice package.

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

this sounds like a motorola ad. bionic launch sept 8th?

VZW paying you when "off" the clock for these ads?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

What I didn't realize is how much power the wi-fi sucks up. Got to keep it on the charger/usb or the wifi will suck it dry in no time. But the wi-fi does save a bunch on the data plan.

Got to get the micro hi def cable to play the 1080p video on the TV.

Thanks for letting me know about all those other apps that are available. Had no idea it can do so much. Might make my laptop obsolete! LOL!

scooper77515

It is the 4G that sucks the power. Go online and figure out how to turn it off so it runs only on 3G and your battery will last all day long.

I lived with mine dying in 2-4 hours for about a month, then switched the 4G off. It is like night and day. In fact, I used to actually feel mine get hot in my pocket at times, with nothing running, because the 4G was searching for a 4G signal and using the battery up, and causing it to heat up.

Also, these phones really are like little computers, and it helps to restart them every day or two, just to clear out any extra running items that you may have opened and didn't get completely closed. For example, if you open maps and surf the internet, and then shut out of those two apps, often they continue running in the background consuming power. A restart will shut them completely down freeing up that power.

badkins50

the droid 3 is only 3G. that does kill a battery but not as bad as all the apps running in the background and the huge screen it has is a killer as well. my thunderbolt has the 4g and I pretty much have to charge it every night.

mark, you can turn things off and ajust your battery usages settings to help a little bit. I did this with my old droid 2 and i was able to go a couple of days before charging. then again there is the option of the extended battery too.

scooper77515

Sorry...I just assumed the Droid 3 was 4G.

Video brightness and on-time is next biggest killer. Keep it as dim as you can and still see it. And let it timeout soon, like 15 or 30 seconds after it is inactive, so the screen turns off asap.

Regardless, I doubt anyone could turn off enough to not have to recharge it at least daily.

I was just losing 70%-80% battery life by 10:00am when I first got my Thunderbolt. That is just plain unacceptable.

badkins50

I think I read somewhere that the Droid3 is on 4g in Canada. So maybe soon it will be here. That's the only reason I went thunderbolt instead of the 3

Sent from my bolt using Tapatalk

badkins50

Oh yeah I forgot. Now iboats is in tapatalk. Pretty good so far.

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

soggy_feet

Longest I've had my X off the charger for is 52hrs. Wifi on, light internet usage (email, theonion.com, textsfromlastnight.com), probably 15 texts a day, rarely an actual phone call.

Average is a day and a half for me when I have a 3G signal. When Im living on the boat, I hardly have a digital signal at all, and I can run a full battery down in 5hrs if Im doing much with emails. Current email string for our trip to Valcour Island this weekend is 100 emails between about 8-9 people, over 2 days.

Advanced Task Manager, if you don't have it, is an awesome app to shut down programs running in the background. If you can root your phone, you can kill off even more of the bloatware Verizon adds on.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

x2 on the advanced task killer, I`m running it on my Evo 4g. Night and Day on Battery life. I~ve had this one for a month and am still learning new things every day. Thanks for the heads up on the navionics downloading now.