omc 4.3 sounds like its missing

proshine43

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello. i just restored my '90 18' galaxie with a 4.3 cobra. took it out around long beach for the first time tonight to test it before we take it to the lake. everything went fine with the boat ecxept the engine feels like its missing. at idle it its not to bad, when i give it enough gas to go about 4 mpjh its smooth, then i give it more gas its rough for a few seconds than it kicks in and runs fine. any suggestions? thanks

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: omc 4.3 sounds like its missing

hello. i just restored my '90 18' galaxie with a 4.3 cobra. took it out around long beach for the first time tonight to test it before we take it to the lake. everything went fine with the boat ecxept the engine feels like its missing. at idle it its not to bad, when i give it enough gas to go about 4 mpjh its smooth, then i give it more gas its rough for a few seconds than it kicks in and runs fine. any suggestions? thanks

Check the fuel filter first, then the points. Make sure they are both even and clean.

proshine43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your quick responses.i have a brand new fuel filter on, does anyone know what points i need that i can get from like pep boys. Again thanks for all your help.

skideck2

Cadet

same prob on my same year motor. Replaced plugs, wires, dist. cap n rotor, O'reilly's looked at my cap n set me up from there. Make sure you have them cross reference from 89-92 to see if there is a difference in part numbers. Cleared up my unsteady rumble.

oh yea, I did clean my carb as well, found my electronic choke to be bad, flooding me out just a bit.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for your quick responses.i have a brand new fuel filter on, does anyone know what points i need that i can get from like pep boys. Again thanks for all your help.

Check out wholesalemarine on line. They have all your stuff. Great prices, ships fast.

proshine43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, i took the points and distributer cap to autozone, no luck, they need make and model of the "car" i told them sierras part number but had no luck. Does anyone have the name brand and part number for these points, condenser and cap. Thanks

skideck2

Cadet

Did you tell em it was a ford or gm? Whichever one yours is.. 4.3 v6, 1990, carbureted probably? Maybe not.. etc..?

proshine43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have no idea which one it is. How can i tell? Thanka again

skideck2

Cadet

It should be stamped right on ur block, or molded as the case may be, look at your serial number, any thing with writing on the engine itself. Mine is right next to the carburetor, gm. I'm not sure how to post a pic yet, not all that puter saavy, but there has to be a pic somewhere in this forum.

proshine43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, just left pep boys and theyre tryong to tell me its a toyota or nissan. Im headed home to check out serial number, thanks

skideck2

Cadet

how did you find out it was a 4.3? What does the intake say? It is not a toyota or nissan...not unless someone got very clever back in the day.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

NAPA can cross a serria number.. They handle serria parts... Stay out of autozone.. I never even been in a pep boys.. Are they good?

Find a NAPA.. Get good and friendly with the parts man there... He is going to be your boat part friend

proshine43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, i have a napa on my way home from work. I'll let you know, thanks again

K.C.B.

Cadet

Iboats,boats.net have just about everything O.M.C.I have also bought a few things from napa.Pay a little extra and get a good quality marine grade part.Here in San Diego we do most of our boating in the ocean.I learned the hard way about buying cheap parts.

proshine43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good news. Napa new what i needed. Will be here in the morning, just in time for the lake this weekend. Just so everyone else knows its #sme 185276. Thanks again. I would have gone through iboats but it wouldnt have been here on time.

skideck2

Cadet

hope you figured out what engine you've got there, makes it easier to order parts......

ronjon444

Seaman

Don't forget to run some Seafoam through the fuel sustem. I swear by the stuff for my 1981 Merc 260 (original).