Volvo Penta 5.0GL-A, B, C, D, or E?

koejc2

Cadet
About a month ago, I bought a 2002 Larson LXi 210, Volvo Penta 5.0 GL with SX outdrive. The seller said the engine was new 3 years ago after the original owner failed to winterize it before the previous winter.

5th time I took it out on the lake, engine died. I had pulled kids on a tube for over a hour, but stopped to drop anchor and let them swim. An hour later it started, but immediately died. Sounded like it's fuel starved. Marina brought 2.3 gal fuel, then after no luck starting, began to tow. After about 50-100 feet, it started without issues.

Back at the marina, decided to add fuel. It began to exhibit signs of overflow and spillage after put in 6.7 gallon.

Question: 1. what could have caused it?
2. How do I know if I have a 5.0GL-A, 5.0GL-B, 5.0GL-C, or D or E?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 5.0GL-A, B, C, D, or E?

You may find your engine serial number on your warranty information, title, registration or what ever. If you have that 10 digit number post it. If not, you can get your HIN or even the serial number from the drive and a Volvo dealer can look it up on the Volvo dealer site.

To your problem, when you try to start the engine, when it does restart, does is run for 15 to 20 seconds then die, or die immediately when you let off the key from the start position?

pfmx

Recruit

look on the drivers side of the motors exhaust manifold next to the fuel filter there's a plastic cover with a sticker it will tell you what gl it is

koejc2

Cadet

My engine serial number is 4012056883.

When I had the problem starting, it happened after 1-2 hours of pulling kids on a tube. I found a cove to swim, killed the engine and dropped anchor. When all reboarded the boat and attempted to start it, the engine started for about a second, then died. After that, it cranked strong but would not "start".

Yesterday I spoke with a mechanic at the marina about it. He said he thought it was vapor lock, and suggested next time I let the engine cool down (idle) for 3-4 minutes while dropping anchor, etc. Said something about ethanol fuel vaporizing at higher temps. Once engine cools down, the vapor turns back to liquid. What are your thoughts?

Also, what can I do about the "run on" after I turn the switch off? This is consistent.

I'll start a separate thread about my trim indicator not functioning. In case you couldn't tell, I've this boat all of 3 weeks.

Any general suggestions on Do's or Don'ts, what to replace or have checked?

Thanks. James

koejc2

Cadet

look on the drivers side of the motors exhaust manifold next to the fuel filter there's a plastic cover with a sticker it will tell you what gl it is

Thanks, pfmx. I'll look for the sticker.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My engine serial number is 4012056883.

That SN is for a 5.0GL-A
You can go here http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx and type in your SN and download a free owners manual for your engine from Volvo

If you are getting vapor lock, not only idling the engine for a few minutes, but turning on the blower will help move the air. You may need more air movement to help get the heat our of the engine compartment. In todays boats, all the sound insulation and design for quiet also traps temps under the cover.

Idle speed can also affect your dieseling, between the heat and the rpm, it will diesel. Make sure the rpm at idle is 700 or less.