1962 Johnson 40HP "So I paid my mechanic to "TIME" my outboard???

doberacker

Seaman Apprentice
So obviously I'm not a pro as I would'nt be asking this, but I knew I had to replace my coils, points, and plugs. And my work did fine but then my dirt from my hands gave me "weak spark" so I took it to a mechanic and they said they had to "TIME IT". How do you "TIME" an outboard that has points and coils (magneto system)? Is there some way other than gapping points to "time" it??? I don't get what I paid 150 bucks for?? D.

Exotic4x4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1962 Johnson 40HP "So I paid my mechanic to "TIME" my outboard???

Spark advance when you increase throttle ur motor needs more advance.your motor adjusts the timing by itself but at wot (wide open throttle) my boat should be at 17 degrees Advanced

doberacker

Seaman Apprentice

So they got the motor running great, starts great, runs great, but the last 1/2" of my throttle (full throttle) makes the engine just BOG down to almost nothing? They said "just don't go full throttle"? Couldn't they have adjusted it to be able to let the adjustment be in the throttle advance and not me having to be careful of my throttle???

doberacker

Seaman Apprentice

I'm happy with how it runs, I just don't understand "what I paid for"? If the engine adjusts itself, then what did "they" do? To the throttle advance? D.

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They said "just don't go full throttle"?

That is the worst mechanic excuse I have ever heard. Take it back to them and tell them to time it proper.

doberacker

Seaman Apprentice

That's what I thought!!!! The guys has become a friend, but when he charged me 150 bucks when "I" put in all my own parts, that I bought from him, and only cause I couldn't get the spark to be enough to work I took to him. His guy said "All I did was spray cleaner on your points you put in and it fired right up". The dirt from my hands, must have weakened the spark, but then said we timed it, and it just Boggs down like the power just dies at the end of the throttle don't seem right? And ya, you would think he would say "oh you need to buy this to fix it? Or it's "this" that's causing that? But to tell me that "just don't go full throttle"??? I don't get it? So is it the TIMING (throttle advance) that's causing that?

lindy46

Captain

There is really no "timng" adjustment on these motors other than making sure the flywheel key is properly in place and the flywheel is properly torqued. There is a process caused link and synch, which "times" the opening of the carb throttle plate to the magneto. On your motor, there is a cam follower, a roller, which rides on a cam on the magneto plate. That cam is adjustable - there are two bolts which can be loosened to adjust the cam in and out. There is a mark scribed on the cam, and when the roller hits the mark, the throttle plate should just start opening. When you reach about 3/4 throttle, the roller no longer controls further opening of the throttle plate. There is an adjustable linkage rod on the port side of the motor which takes over. The rod needs to be adjusted so the throttle plate is wide open when the throttle is fully advanced. A good mechanic would know how to adjust it.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You paid 150 bucks for an education, did you learn something? Go get the factory manual and read through it. There are two ways to set the points, with a feeler guage and an ohm meter, both work well. I can't imagine how much dirt you could have had on you hands to contaminate the points.

kfa4303

Banned

I agree. Consider it lesson learned and try not to do business with "friends". Always a sticky situation. No worries iboats has your back. We can walk you through most any problem. You may just need to properly adjust the carbs and/or do a lync-n-sync to get proper fuel delivery. Bother are pretty simple and quick.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Put your throttle at wide open position and look into the carb throat and make sure the throttle plate is not going over center. It should be perfectly flat.

doberacker

Seaman Apprentice

As always guys, THANK YOU! Yes he was a "friend" but he's a Prof marine mechanic/shop been in biz for over 25 years in town. So I assumed I had the "best" on the job. He only became my buddy as I been spending my money there for few years. Yes, it was an expensive learning experience. I did the tune up correct, (so they said) and my flywheel/key in right place, I just didn't understand how the cam/throttle works in tandom with the system. Now I get it..... Ugh........ I won't make that (exact) mistake again. Again, Thanks for all your help! D.

kfa4303

Banned

Live and learn. These old magneto systems are so neat b/c they're so clever and simple once you get the hang of them. Basic induction at work. Any time you move a magnet (like the one found on the underside of flywheel) past a copper coil (coils) an electric current is formed, which is then sent down the wire to the spark plugs where a spark is formed and ignites the compressed fuel/oil/air vapor in the chamber and voila! combustion. The combustion reaction expands the gas and forces the piston down for the power stroke, which then rotates the crankshaft, which then keeps the flywheel (magnet) spinning past the copper coils on the magneto plate, and perpetuates the series of electrical impulses. You get it to fire more rapidly (raise rpms) by simultaneously advancing the timing (rotating the magneto plate CCW as the flywheel spins CW, via the twist grip, or throttle controls) and opening up the carb to give it more fuel to combust. If you have enough gas, it'll basically run forever. Gotta love it. Newer electronic motors basically use voo doo and balk magic to keep running, or something :)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Timing is set by the flywheel/crankshaft key. If the key isn't sheared, the engine is in time.

The full spark advance is also set.... the armature plate (plate the points are on) turns as you apply throttle, and continues to turn until it hits a stop built in on the block. There is no adjustable full throttle spark advance setting.

The rod linkage leading from the armature plate to the throttle cam roller? Read on.......

(Synchronization Of Older 2 Cyl Engines)
(Such As The 28, 33, 40hp Etc models )

On the linkage that runs from the armature plate (the plate the coils & points set on) to the carburetor throttle roller, loosen the set screw on the brass collar that you see there and temporarily move it away from the armature plate/vertical throttle arm clevis (clevis is that thing the linkage rod slides through). We'll refer to that vertical throttle arm/armature plate clevis simply as the "clevis" from this point on.

Look at the cam that's attached to the front of the armature plate.... the cam that slides up against the carburetor throttle roller. You'll notice that there's a scribe mark on it. Also notice that at the top portion of the intake manifold there is a raised portion, that top portion forming a point. The carburetor roller should contact the cam and just start to open the throttle butterfly when the scribe mark is dead center with that point.

With the engine in gear (not running of course) have the armature plate advanced all the way (by hand) so that it is up against its stop. Now adjust the brass collar (set screw) on that associated linkage rod so that it is up against the clevis. It should be adjusted so that there is either no play, or just a hairs play between the collar and the clevis.

At this point, the armature plate movement is not advancing the throttle butterfly via the rod movement, but further movement of the throttle control, although the armature plate cannot move any farther, causes the tension spring at the armature plate to allow the vertical throttle arm to move farther which now advances the carburetor throttle butterfly via the rod. When fully advanced (full throttle), the carburetor throttle butterfly should be fully opened (horizontal).

If all else with your engine is as it should be, that should do it.

And..... don't take your engine to that fella again (grin).

Oh, also.......

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Nice to see you back Joe.

doberacker

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again guys! I got it adjusted, and works just fine. Yes, I will NOT take my boat to him again. 20 Years in business don't mean he's "the best"..... Thanks again! D.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Glad you got your problem fixed, what did you end up doing to fix it?

doberacker

Seaman Apprentice

I adjusted the brass throttle arm. A simple screw holding the roller. You would have thought that "they" could have done that? Oh well. Very good learning lesson! I've always done my own work on my boats/engines unless I get "stuck" and can't get a problem solved. I should have just stuck to talking to the great people on this site, and doing it myself! Won't make that mistake again. Thanks again to EVERYONE!! D.