Fogging?

smut

Cadet
I have 3 outboards a 57 18h.p. a66, 6h.p. anda 71 40h.p. all evenrude. I"m wondering how to fog them for the winter storage period,if this is necessary,and what else is recommended.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fogging?

Fogging is done by running a heavy amount of oil through the engine to coat the internals, crank, rods and bearings. There are a couple of ways to do this, they make an aersol can that you can squirt directly into the carb. Or you can mix up a small amount of fuel mixture heavy on the oil side. You can also use a squirt oil can with oil in it and squirt it directly into the carb. Remember that you want to get a lot of smoke out of the exhaust
Change your lower unit oil and use new seal washers on the drain/vent screws. Drain the fuel from the carb and spray the power head down with something like WD-40, that's what I do for winter storage.

kfa4303

Banned

winter storage already!?! It was 100+ today in FLA.

smut

Cadet

hi samo im from ottawa too,and yes its early ,im just looking ahead.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I run my last engines into Dec before I finally fog em. (I'm on the Gatineau river) Put stabilizer in the fuel before your last time out. I buy spray fogger at Laurentian marine or West Marine (Kingston) or somewhere. I dont think Canadian Tire sells it... Not sure though. Then I unplug the fuel line when idling and when it gets near to emptying the carb of fuel I start spraying the fog oil in the carb until it runs outa fuel. That's how I do it.

hidef

Lieutenant

The BRP dealer in Orleans carries the Evinrude Fogging oil in a spray bomb. They are located in the business park at the 174 and Trim road. I run marine sta-bil in my fuel tanks all the time. That way I don't have to worry about the fuel breaking down.

smut

Cadet

Thanks for all your help,i boat on the mississipi near galletta,this forum has been a godsend.

hidef

Lieutenant

Are you above the dam in Galletta or below it? I grew up on the river I used to fish it between Packenham and Galletta all summer long. There used to be some big pike and walleye in there and not a lot of people fished it.

smut

Cadet

Hi im between galetta and pakinham,icatch bass and walleye a few pike but not that big.