trim pump

ddnorton

Recruit
I have a 1984 Imperial with a 120 mercruiser with a alpha one lower unit. I have trim pump interment problems. the trim works out of the water, when you put the boat in the water the trim will work at first. Then when you you are running for a while the trim will not go up it will try and go down. in the up position will not even make a electric noise. I have to remove the trim cylinder's to manaully lift the lower unit to get the boat out of the water. Once the boat is off and out of the water of about 30 minutes the trim pump works fine. Any ideas i would greatly appericate it.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: trim pump

Does it ALWAYS work out of the water? Hard to diagnose when it works. Next time it doesn't work, see if you can narrow down the cause - either electrical or hydraulic. See if you are getting power to the pump or not. Could be as simple as a corroded or loose connection - or a bad solenoid, etc.

ddnorton

Recruit

Yes it always works out of the water. I first thought i had a loose conection, but it will always work in the down position. Even if the unit is in the full down position. You can hear the trim pump still run when you hit the down button, but no noise in the up position.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yay another imperial owner! I own a 1987 imperial 260fc. Glad to see there are others "on the same boat" as me.