Prop turns forward : there is no current to the outdrive coil. 76 OMC 235 stringer

50jimmy

Recruit
I am bamboozled. The prop continues to turn in forward when the control is in neutral and I verified by test light there is no current going to the green "go" wire. The control appears to be working, I had current with the control handle in forward, no current in neutral, and current to the blue wire when the control handle was in reverse.

I probably should have left this boat stay with the guy who sold it to me. It would not start initially, and he reuced the price accordingly. I have replaced the starter ( having gotten one dud starter from a parts store) and the starting solenoid apparently stuck in the "run the starter" mode this afternoon......Making for some franticoil wire grabbing and then battery terminal loosening as the starter continued to grind away.

I believe I have the starting issues under control....I will not be using discount parts houses again. However I am lost on the prop that wont stop issue.

Its a 76 cobalt 19ft open bow runabout. 351 windsor. It is most positively an electric shift stringer.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Prop turns forward : there is no current to the outdrive coil. 76 OMC 235 string

with cold oil, a prop will sometimes turn just due to the friction of the thick oil turning the propshaft

if what you report is propelling the boat down the lake with both wires disconnected, then there has been a mechanical failure in the lower unit

50jimmy

Recruit
Re: Prop turns forward : there is no current to the outdrive coil. 76 OMC 235 string

Actually I have not had the boat in the water yet, since its a new purchase and it wasnt running when I got it. I have not figured a way to see if the prop spin in neutral is just heavy oil friction or a malfunction without getting hurt. With the engine not running, i was able to turn the prop in either direction with some resistance in neutral, significant resistance in both forward and reverse. I was thinking I might start it up with some expendable item like an old basketball or a cardboard box jamming the prop to the ground and see what happens (from a "safe" distance") Its on the trailer and hooked to hose by the way.

While tinkering with the boat last night, the new starter solenoid stuck in the on position, revving the crap out of the starter singe the engine started in the process. Once that is rectified, I will be able to get back to the drive inspection.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

My prop spins a little bit when in neutral, and its on the trailer. Like Howard said that is normal, however if it is actually grabbing and in gear, you will have some work ahead of you.

50jimmy

Recruit

There is rejoicing at our house this evening. I put a wad of soft material under the prop to more or less wedge it against the ground. I started the engine with both wires to the drive coils disconnected. The prop did not spread shredded stuff all over the yard when I started it up. The turning of the prop was indeed not caused by a malfunction, but internal friction or heavy oil or whatever. Its just kinda coasting, not powered.

Most sincere thanks for your input, it was a great help in my thinking process on this problem, I am one of those that makes the mental jump to worst possible reason when things arent working right.

We are dying to get this tub in the water!