Garmin micro G-chart cartridges

Canadiver

Recruit
Hi all. I have a Garmin 185 which takes the micro G-chart cartridges. I have been trying to find one for Canada west coast from USA to Alaska. Haven't been able to find anything so far. Checked e-bay and Craigslist nothing so far. If anyone has one they are not using or knows of one please contact me. Thanks for your help.

Canadiver

Recruit
Re: Garmin micro G-chart cartridges

Thanks, Fireman431 I have been there, problem being is they are not being sold or supported past Nov 2004. Tried the phone # no luck they don't have them. There are a lot of different areas mainly looking for the US border North, Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound, Jervus Inlet. Maybe someone has upgraded and has one laying around is the my only hope. Keep checking ebay etc.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If they are not being supported past 2004, why in the world would you trust yourself, your family, and your vessel to technology that has not been updated or monitored in 7 years? Shoaling happens, markers & bouys get moved, charts get updated...Get a new GPS with software support.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Canadiver - I bought a Garmin 185s (integral sounder) in 1999. After 11 years of good service I replaced it earlier this year. It was a great little unit and brought me offshore and back - and all over the bay - countless times. My only gripe was that it was slow when changing pages. (Sometimes disturbingly slow when zipping actoss a shallow bay in a narrow channel.) You are correct about the inavailability of cartridges - it's been that way for years. I upgraded earlier this year to a Garmin 546s. Larger screen, color, fast, tide info, digital link to my VHF, much more and extra cool. The built in charts for my area (Galveston West Bay) are excellent. This unit gets my highest rating - 5 sardines. :)

Canadiver

Recruit

Yes I agree with you. It is time to upgrade to a new system. My problem is I hate to replace something that works perfect for me. We have been venturing a bit father North into Canadian waters, which the chip I have ends just North of 49. My buddy bought the 546 last year at the boat show in Seattle $900 its $200 more for the areas I am looking for. His screen is a bit smaller, it does work faster, and is color. I just replaced the engine in my boat so the new electronics will have to wait for a bit til I refill my wallet. I have to do some homework on whats available. What I had been looking at is over $2000, therefore if I could find the chip for the 185 it would tide me over. Lets face it I am using paper charts at the moment. lol anyways thanks all for your input and help. I'll just keep searching in the meantime.
Happy Cruising

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Get into eBay and start following items. If you have the time, you will find the deal. I bid on a Garmin 2006 color GPS/ChartPlotter on a bid that was ending at 2:00 am. It retails for $1200. I got it for $500. There are plenty of options out there that are still being supported with current software. Keep an eye out. Don't forget Craigs List. Plenty of people needing money, as well.