Maintenance

bgc

Ensign
I am helping a friend with turning wrenches at a marine repair facility in central Ohio (a 350 head messed up his hand). I am stunned by the number of "water craft" that are being repaired for lack of maintenance. There are 5 boats that need engine blocks due to freezing alone, one that also needs a lower because he left it up and uncovered. WTH people read the owners and follow the basic maintenance. AAA will not be there to tow you in. Common Sense isn't common is it?......

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Maintenance

I/O perhaps? Outboards typically don't freeze and crack.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

A lot of people assume boats are like cars; drive them and forget them. Or don't drive them much: unlike a boat, a car won't fall apart just sitting there. The result is in your shop.

Others lose interest in the boat and let them go. They find that the maintenance isn't "fun" like the pictures in the ads. They do not know, or underestimate, the time needed for maintenance. And many boats, and geographic areas, have increased maintenance requirements.

Some try but do it wrong. Some run out of money or time. On winterizing, some wait one too many weekends in the fall. Some have changed cirtcumstances, such as the children go off to school or summer camp, and it doesn't get used. Priorities change, and a boat becomes (or perhaps starts) as a low priority. or they buy a newer boat and keep the old one.

There is also a downward spiral, one I have seen with old boats and users such as daughters who don't appreciate the fun of having something go wrong out in the middle of the river and have to fix it or paddle home: As boats get tired, or unreliable, they don't get used, and they get more tired and unreliable. And no one wants to spend hours on maintenance and repairs, including catch-up maintenance, on a boat that isn't being used. Once the user loses confidence in the boat, it's stress, not fun, to use it.

Free time is tight. "If I want to go boating, I have to fix the gonkulator, which means troubleshooting, going to the parts store, figuring it out, wrenching on it, going back to the store, re-doing it, with a 50/50 chance it will work and a 80% chance I'll finjd somehting else wrong. Screw it, let's drive to the beach instead."

I can ride around my river and point to dozens of boats that haven't run in a couple of years, and more that have been barely used. They would be in the shop, too, but they are in the water at the piers, or on trailers with flats! I personally think it's a shame, but that is what it is.

But don't ask me about the old whaler in the driveway....

bgc

Ensign

I just cant fathom wasting money like that. You pay a small fortune for a boat and let it go to waste....

Bob_VT and ezmobee, sorry I will not post random topics anymore

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wasn't criticizing, just pondering Bob's comment.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

The good news is that it keeps dealers in business and helps to stimulate the boat and motor business.

We all see it here every day: Time doesn't kill motors- People do...

robert graham

Admiral

I am helping a friend with turning wrenches at a marine repair facility in central Ohio (a 350 head messed up his hand). I am stunned by the number of "water craft" that are being repaired for lack of maintenance. There are 5 boats that need engine blocks due to freezing alone, one that also needs a lower because he left it up and uncovered. WTH people read the owners and follow the basic maintenance. AAA will not be there to tow you in. Common Sense isn't common is it?......

Hey, you can't make folks do anything or take care of equipment/machinery. I think they'd rather buy more new stuff than take care of what they have...so it's great for the economy! When I was a kid, a loooong time ago, I used to watch my grandmother take this little oil can and put a drop of oil on each journal of her old peddle-type Singer Sewing machine, and I used to look and listen to that machine, "run like a sewing machine". But that's ancient history now and folks would rather replace than maintain in our "disposable society"...Good Luck!