Oil leak HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Surffx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well only had her for three months and I have an oil leak (2005 bayliner 175 Mercursier 3.0L Alpha I). After we pulled up the launch I unscrewed the plug and what came out the bilge? Oil!!!! Arrrggg!! :mad: <br /><br />Anyway, after we got home I took a closer look at things and I think it’s the oil pressure sending unit. Here are some pics. (They are pretty big might take a minute to download)<br /><br />
leak1.jpg
<br /><br /><br />
leak2.jpg
<br /><br /><br />As you can see the block looks dry and then there’s a shinny part surrounding the sending unit fitting. So here are my questions… If I try to tighten the brass fitting on the block 1)will the whole contraption turn? 2)will that loosen the silver tube that connects to the brass T fitting. 3) Is it ok to turn the whole contraption, or does it need to be parallel with the block to work properly? 4) Is that locktite on the fittings or teflon tape? 5) Do I need to take the whole thing apart and install it back one piece at a time. If so, do I need to re do the locktite/Teflon tape? Ahhhhh, Help!!! I really don’t want it to sit at the dealership for 2 weeks when it could be really simple to fix. <br /><br />Oh, and Bayliner bashers…please don’t say “I told you so” hee hee. ;)

llerrad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Oil leak HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

You have already got it right, take it apart one pc at a time and get the teflon tape on all the threaded parts, the whole deal should take 15 min. to do.

tommays

Admiral

if it was me i would want to keep the warentee in effect<br /><br />if you start doing DIY repairs and your motor has a problem your putting your self in a very bad position<br /><br />given your confusion on how to do it and what to use it sounds like a less than good idea<br /><br />tommays

HotLava

Seaman

Bring it back to the dealer. Don't touch a thing. Something simple you do could give ammunition to a warranty void. Let the dealer correct the problem. Plus this way you have an initial record of a problem in case something else should happen.

Surffx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well alright, you talked me into it, I'll take it back to the dealer. As much as I hate to hear it...I DO appreciate the wise advice and I DON'T want to void the warrantee. I actually have a 3 year warrantee on the motor because I bought it at the boat show they throw in an extra year (normally 2 years on the motor). Not that it matters; its only three months old!! I’ll go home at lunch and take her down there, I just hope this won’t put me out of action for a long time. The cutthroat trout season here at Pyramid lake closes at the end of June; only a couple of trips left. :(

HotLava

Seaman

Yeah, but trout don't like the taste of oil :p

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I'ts a simple fix, but let them do it. I used to go to the hot springs at Gerlach when I was a kid. Didn't know there were trout in Pyramid Lake. Good luck with the dealer.If you tell them where it's leaking from,and have the boat there,[obviously]they might do it right away.

Surffx

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OH yea there's trout!!<br /><br />Home of the legendary<br />Lahontan cutthroat trout!!<br /><br />sorry the pic is soo big<br /><br />
fish.jpg
<br /><br />Yep, that would be nice if the could fix it right away. It's probablly a 10min job for them. But I guess I want them to test it too (as much as they can) I don't want to have to keep taking it back.