Alpha drive ratio

Archnawan

Seaman Apprentice
I have an Alpha One, Gen 2 and need to find the drive ratio. The only stamp I see is DL00075 on the upper unit. Can I determine the ratio without disassembly? If not what do I have to remove to find out?<br /><br />Motor is a 5.0L, and I'm am considering replacing outdrive with one that is 1.62 ratio but want to make sure the gearing is appropriate.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alpha drive ratio

You Should have a 1.5/1......<br /><br />A 1.62/1 would need about 2" Bigger Prop to make up the Difference...........

Archnawan

Seaman Apprentice

Hmm, so if I have a 15" I would need a 17" to keep the same top rpm?<br /><br />If so that could be a good thing. The unit is on a 26 foot bayliner that I have always felt is a little underpowered. With a 15" stainless it tops at about 4400 rpm so if I leave the same prop on and top at 4600 to 4700,(still in spec?), it should give me better overall performance, right?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Originally posted by Cap'n Aye:<br /> Hmm, so if I have a 15" I would need a 17" to keep the same top rpm?<br /><br />If so that could be a good thing. The unit is on a 26 foot bayliner that I have always felt is a little underpowered. With a 15" stainless it tops at about 4400 rpm so if I leave the same prop on and top at 4600 to 4700,(still in spec?), it should give me better overall performance, right?
yes.<br /><br />Some 5.0l did come from the factory with 1.62:1. The only way to know for sure it to remove the top cover and count the teeth, or turn the input shaft /yoke and count the revolutions of the prop shaft.<br /><br />Chris.........

Bondo

Staff member

Ohhh,.... On that Big of a boat,.. You just Might have a 1.65/1.......<br /><br />If that's the case,.... Going to the 1.84/1 would give you the 2"s of breathing room on your prop pitches...........<br /><br />I'd be Tempted to go with the 1.98/1s............<br />That Should put you into a 21" prop.............If you've got the 1.5/1 Now........