1956 Evinrude outboard 19HP

CJTaylor

Seaman Apprentice
I found water in the pressure tank. Could this have come from the return line on the pressure system? If so then my quest would be that I have a problem with my water pumping system? Any info on the subject would be helpfull. CJTaylor:confused:

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1956 Evinrude outboard 19HP

HI Cj. When was the last time you made a fresh batch of gas and where/how did you store it? If the tank sat for a while in a humid environment, the water is probably just from the atmosphere. The ethanol in modern gas can attract up to 100% of it's own volume in water. So if you have 1 gal of ethanol it can attract and trap up to 1 gal of water. However, if the gas is fresh and the tank is well sealed, then your hypothesis may be correct, in which case I'm thinking you might have a blown head gasket, which is allowing the water circulating around the pistons to be get expelled into the return line and into your tank. You may want to go ahead and convert your motor to a fuel pump set up with a modern single-line fuel tank. It's a pretty quick, easy and inexpensive job and there are tons of threads, sites and vids that can walk you through it.