stripping fiberglass off aluminum??

cm20

Cadet
hello everyone new here had a question i wondered if anyone had an idea about...

i recently bought a 77 sylvan 18 foot aluminum boat to restore and the previous owner decided it would be a good idea to coat the entire bottom of the boat in

a heavy layer of fiberglas cloth and resin.... any ideas on how to get it off ive been going at it very slowly with a wire wheel on an angle grinder wondering if anyone knew of a chemical

stripper to remove it? .... will be starting a build thread here soon as soon as i figure out the whole picture thing, any ideas would be appreciated

thanks in advance for any advice

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: stripping fiberglass off aluminum??

Maybe a heat gun and scraper would work on the FG?

I'd bet money your tinny leaks with loose rivets and seams and thats why the PO did what he did. Plenty of info on here on how to stop that the right way.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

WOW..that's going to be a mess, maybe worse than digging out pour in foam. Sorry, but that doesn't sound good.

Does it seem to be stuck good? Can you tell it it wants to come up?

cm20

Cadet

thats what i intend to do is fix it the right way, just a huge pain getting all the crap off the bottom, throwing the idea around of welding up the whole boat since i have it stripped down to nothing but that would require a ton more work but its a winter project got 8 months to do it

cm20

Cadet

the hull is in pretty good shape other than all the glass, but im not sure what the boat even is its titled as a sylvan but it looks completely identical to the starcrafts of that era inside and out....not a bad deal though got the boat and trailer for 400 bucks, no motor but came with a set of newer omc controls with new cables 2 gas tanks and a new spare for the trailer.....thinking about turning it into a center console any thoughts?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We're gonna need some pics of this mess. Welcome to the forum!

cm20

Cadet

its definately a mess workin on the pics part i was just checking out your build ezmobee and im now about 99% sure i have the exact same boat as you not a sylvan like the title says...where did you get the hatch for your rod locker if you dont mind me asking?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

its definately a mess workin on the pics part i was just checking out your build ezmobee and im now about 99% sure i have the exact same boat as you not a sylvan like the title says...where did you get the hatch for your rod locker if you dont mind me asking?

Many of the Sylvans are identical twins to the Starcrafts. So more than likely if it says Sylvan on the title it probably is.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

If you can work an edge up to get some acetone under it you you maybe able to pop it out in bigger chunks. No matter what its going to be work.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep, just what dj said, Sylvan even had a model called a SuperSporster! Same boat.

I got my hatch on ebay. Do a search for ski locker and you should have a few to choose from.

cm20

Cadet

thanks for all the quick replies....i didnt know that about the 2 boats....back to the problem, heat gun does virtually nothing just melts the paint off the top and makes a bigger mess, looks like im just going to have to suck it up and wire wheel it off

cm20

Cadet

heres a pic of the boat just tryin to get the hang of putting pics on here

IMG00017-20110826-1902.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Oh man what a mess. I think you'll probably have to start off by scraping as much as you can off with a putty knife or something. Hopefully it isn't adhered real well in some areas.

I would start putting my pictures in a photobucket.com account and linking to them from here. I can currently seeing your pics in the above post when I click the links but there's something wrong with iboats picture hosting and I think tomorrow the links will be dead. Hosting pics on iboats is a pain anyway and you'll find lots of uses for photobucket. That's what most of us are using.