Drive Shaft Scoring

sanjaykp

Cadet
I ended up with water in the gearcase an I have taken it apart. The leak looks to be from the gearshift rod seal. There is scoring on the driveshaft at the waterpump seal two scores (smooth but grooved) above the woodruff slot. There is no scoring at the driveshaft seal. At what point do I need to use a speedi sleeve? The current seal is intact with no nicks which I will replace since I bought the seal kit. There has been no issues with water flow or overheating.

I need also need to replace the 5/16" gearcase bolts what grade stainless bolts should I use 8-18?

Thanks for the help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drive Shaft Scoring

They make a speedi sleeve for that??How deep are the grooves?
I used to take them to a machine shop and have them re-welded and milled.
A friend used to take marine tex and fill the groove,sand it smooth and re-install it,worked real good.
What's wrong with the bolts?I just clean them and use thread chasers on the hole.J

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jerry......... why would you use a speedi sleeve above the woodruff key?

How are you going to get the impeller past it?

Inquiring minds want to know?

Chris

sanjaykp

Cadet

In reading other posts people have done this just not sure if it is necessary or not. As for the bolts 3 out six snapped and I definitely don't want to use the remaining

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

The scoring is above the woodruff key?

sanjaykp

Cadet

yes, the scoring is from the waterpump seal in the waterpump housing. Since it is smooth and the seal is intact I would not think alot of water is leaking out and if it did there are weep holes that would let it out. This is a seperate issue from the water in the gearcase which I think is from the gear shift seal

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Don't worry about the scoring above the water pump. Unless the grooves are so deep that the seal doea not contact them at all it will seal. It does have garter springs to help maintain integrity. Additionally, the seal itself is redundant. If you look at a new impeller, you will see raised ridges around the center and on the vanes. The center ridge seals the impeller to the pump case so very little water will escape to the seal.

You certainly don't want a sleeve on the drive shaft at this point.

sanjaykp

Cadet

thanks frank,

what about stainless bolt grade should I use 8-18 or somthing stronger like 316. I am thinking somthing stronger as I snapped 3

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sparky,learn how to read.You see at the end of my sentance was a question mark ????? Meaning I asked a question,do they make a speedy sleeve???
Read things twice,maybe you'll understand.

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your a lucky to have a buddy that has your back like Frank does...........I envy you.

I believe the comment was....................."I thought we were supposed to give good advice"

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Hey jerry. Keep up the good advice man. Love reading your responses. Its helped me out with my force outboard just by reading through them.