Nissan NS55B shifting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmpicker

Recruit
I have owned a Nissan NS55B for 8 years and have had very little problems. For the past few weeks, I've noticed that the motor when put in reverse, would not stay in reverse, but ran good in forward. However, this weekend, I had no reverse or forward. The motor felt like it stayed in neutral, although the motor would "rev up" when I gave it gas in either mode. Additionally, I do not feel the normal "click" in the throttle lever when moving from the neutral position to either direction. I am in no way mechanically inclined, but with the Labor Day weekend coming up and money too short to afford a shop visit, I hope somebody can give me an idea on what might be wrong and if it's something I might could tackle repairing.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan NS55B shifting problem

If you are remote shift, check the shift cable. It may have come loose or fallen off.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You probably have a slipping propeller hub. Take a black marker and draw a line from the hub to the aluminum. Run the engine and see if the line separates. If it does it's new prop time. If it doesn't it's trip to the dealer time.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If prop is ok, probably you have a disconnected rod shift joint, remove big black gommet from LU, play shifting in forward or reverse, should see both rods moving same direction same time, if upper one only moves, re tight SJ screw and nut . Will need to re synchronize the system though.

Happy Boating

mccarlej

Cadet
I know this is an old post but thought my issue fits in here. I have a Nissan NS70A and took it on the water today to discover this problem. She runs like a top and goes into reverse perfectly. When I shift into fwd nothing. I took it out of the water and tested with muffs on and prop spins perfectly in fwd and reverse as it should. Put it back in the water and this time I disconnected the shifter cables and viola, I can shift by hand into Fwd,N, and Rev just fine (fwd I have to move the shifter quickly to get it to engage otherwise it's as if the cable is connected). So before everyone says "your cables need adjusted, understand that the shifter is moving the full range of travel. I am thinking there may be excessive play in the shifter cable but without being in the water I do not know the best way to test the adjustment. Any ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
6 years is too old to hijack. Read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.