A 1966 Starcraft Nassau Comes To Georgia

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Picked her up on Thursday in South Carolina. Very few minor character dents, some scratches and not a lot of extra holes, some but not many. The whole boat is filthy, this is after $5 at the car wash. 16 feet of 45 year old tin!!! I hope the pics are sized right.

The side view Nassau050.jpg

Bow - Some paint scratches from winch handle. My first car was a '60 Falcon the same color.
Nassau051.jpg

Splashwell - solid transom, replaced some time. Cable steering needs new cable or new steering system
Nassau053.jpg

Merc 500 - 50 hp and Jetson light with violet lens. Motor is free and shifts fine. Wiring harness needs re-wired or replaced.
Nassau052.jpg

Splashwell sliders - Anyone know if the aluminum lattice is original?
Nassau055.jpg

A few more pics are coming. Have to keep the Mob happy!!!!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Re: A 1966 Starcraft Nassau Comes To Georgia

Some more pics;

Dash with genuwine Ford am/fm. The wheel looks like it's rope wrapped. The windshield is clear with some crazing, no cracks. Needs to use the WoodOnGlass polishing system. Pic was into the sun. Nassau056.jpg

Seats are weather worn, but no rips Nassau058.jpg

Winch needs work, It has my Mothers old clothes line on it. The bow stop is funky. Nassau061.jpg

This is how to remove rivets and screws - NOT.
Nassau054.jpg

I'm still assessing what to do. Get her going or start to fix her up? These old gals sure start people talking, every time
I stop somewhere, I get questions. Already had a guy ask if it is for sale. I haven't even been wet yet. LOL

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Very nice boat you got there. Yes the aluminum lattice is likely original. The original doors were probably plywood rectangles with cutout "windows" filled with matching lattice.

If it was mine, I'd get the motor running and take it for a cruise or two and restore it over the winter.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice score, glad you finally found a nice project GA. Welcome to:D

That Merc is probably original to the boat too, looks about '66 vintage to me.

I'd want to get it on the water and see what you think about everything prior to restoring it.

It will give you an idea how the boat handles and where you will want everything.:)

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice rig!! man I love this time of the year, new rigs to be worked on all winter long! Its like going to the candy store every Monday when I open up the forums! Will be watching what you do!

Chuck

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That's the spittin image of my Jet buddy. Excellent score and welcome to the brohood!

GA_Boater

Thanks, Mob. I'm going to get her on the water and see how she goes. According to the PO everything is still as purchased new - sorta. I believe him because 1966 is everywhere. Motor number is '66, trailer mfg. plate shows '66 and of course the SC data plate is 16 FT. Nassau and the S/N begins with 66. All in all she is not too bad, especially for 45 years old and cheap.

A few things need work before she floats. She has no bilge pump and never had one! I guess SC thought aluminum boats can't leak and don't get water inside. Gonna change out the impeller and pressure test the lower unit, just normal maintenance stuff. I have to work on the internal wiring harness, the insulation is cracked/missing on some of the wires. And the steering cables need replaced. And cleaning - still need lotsa cleaning.

We'll be talking guys. Thanks. :D:D:D

64osby

Admiral

GA, Way to go. That Merc 500 is great outboard, I have a 1967 that runs like a swiss watch.

Just another $5 or $10 bucks at the car wash and she'll be good as new:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

And the steering cables need replaced.

If it is indeed not useable as-is, then go ahead and bite the bullet and order a new single cable system. Not worth messing with the old cables and helm. Darn pulleys rattle and squeak too much anyway which is annoying.

Steering system: http://www.lowcostboatingstore.com/Uflex-ROTECH-Kits_c_226.html

Clamp block (you'll need this since you have no tilt tube) http://www.iboats.com/Corrosion-Res...5764940--**********.611379388--view_id.192758

GA_Boater

If it is indeed not useable as-is, then go ahead and bite the bullet and order a new single cable system. Not worth messing with the old cables and helm. Darn pulleys rattle and squeak too much anyway which is annoying.

Steering system: http://www.lowcostboatingstore.com/Uflex-ROTECH-Kits_c_226.html

Clamp block (you'll need this since you have no tilt tube) http://www.iboats.com/Corrosion-Res...5764940--**********.611379388--view_id.192758

Thanks for the links EZ. I do have a tilt tube, but I need the link arm. A rotary has to be quieter and tighter. Still looking at the cables to see how bad it is. I need more time to play with it. Mrs. GA says I'm starting to be obsessive. How can that be?

GA_Boater

GA, Way to go. That Merc 500 is great outboard, I have a 1967 that runs like a swiss watch.

Just another $5 or $10 bucks at the car wash and she'll be good as new:)

I'm missing the old 25 cent car wash. Wash, rinse and sometimes wax was just fine for me! LOL

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Great looking little boat! I dig the chrome on the old motors.
Maybe I missed it, or am just rude..
Whatcha shell out for her?

GA_Boater

Great looking little boat! I dig the chrome on the old motors.
Maybe I missed it, or am just rude..
Whatcha shell out for her?

Not 'rude, it's a Merc 500, Kev. LOL This is the same one I posted about a little over a month ago. He put it back on CL last Weds. and I grabbed her on Thurs. for a whopping $250. It's worth that in parts and scrap value.....NO, NOT GOING THERE. A little fixing, gonna float her and go from there.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Cool boat. Nothin' like a 60's Starcraft, they have so much charactor. Dig that funky Robin's Egg Blue. Really I think that's my favorite SC factory color.

GA_Boater

Thanks BD. Zach will probably beat me to splash, but it shouldn't too long for me.

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad you found the one you wanted. It looks like fun. Enjoy.

GA_Boater

Thanks gf. I hope she's fun.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats GA, heck yeah it'll be fun. For the asking price how could you pass it up. Looks exactly like my Jet as well.

GA_Boater

Thanks. BH. Whatever I do with her I don't think she will be shiny like your SS (oh the bling - LOL) Had her a week now and still thinking through my options. First, get her on the water!

sprintst

Commander

45 years later and she's still around. Just like me...well 46 actually for me.

They don't make 'em like they used too :)