5.7 GSi EFI gimbal bearing

Waterski1

Recruit
I have a 2000 Volvo Penta 5.7 GSi EFI With 266.5 hrs on it all in fresh water.
I had a marina 'de-winterize' it this spring and overheated it so bad that they thought it was on fire and used the fire extinguisher on it. I assume the water pump or impeller were gone but am not really a
mechanic
Turns out in overheating it so much they cracked the head and left melted pieces of paint and rubber in
the bottom of the boat.
I also noticed while looking from the outside back of the boat at the outdrive that the throttle cable housing and exhaust bellows are melted.
Now they are saying the gimbal bearing is gone but has nothing to do with the melt down.
Is this possible?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.7 GSi EFI gimbal bearing

I doubt even that overheat would cause the gimbal bearing to go bad.

Waterski1

Recruit

ok, interesting, so just so happened that the gimbal bearing has gone I guess. is this normal at 266 hrs assuming it has been maintained properly?

thanks for your reply

Don S

It is if water was getting into the bellows. Rust is why they fail. The ujoint bellows should be replaced every 5 ot 6 years as preventive maintenance.

Don S

Not sure why that gimbal bearing is such a big deal to them, they destroyed your engine, and parts of your drive.

Waterski1

Recruit

yes, one would think, and they are also saying that the casing is 'fused' (for lack of a better term) together and that it will need to be broken off to get at it to fix.
in their opinion, this is common on these engines. its only a small plastic piece i know, but really.
i bought the boat with 230-ish hours so i cannot say for sure if u joint bellows have been replaced along the way. i would like to assume so as when i got the boat it was MINT MINT MINT with every receipt, manual, tag etc from the guy when he bought it new.

i was just hoping to link the fact that the bellow melted and therefore allowed water in causing the gimbal to go.

what a hassle, and no boat all summer............

thanks again for your input